A New Indexing Method for Biometric Databases Using Match Scores and Decision Level Fusion
This paper proposes a new clustering-based indexing technique for large biometric databases. We compute a fixed length index code for each biometric image in the database by computing its similarity against a preselected set of sample images. An efficient clustering algorithm is applied on the database and the representative of each cluster is selected for the sample set. Further, the indices of all individuals are stored in an index table. During retrieval, we calculate the similarity between query image and each of the cluster representative (i.e., query index code) and select the clusters that have similarities to the query image as candidate identities. Further, the candidate identities are also retrieved based on the similarity between index of query image and those of the identities in the index table using voting scheme. Finally, we fuse the candidate identities from clusters as well as index table using decision level fusion. The technique has been tested on benchmark PolyU palm print database consist of 7,752 images and the results show a better performance in terms of response time and search speed compared to the state of art indexing methods.
KeywordsPalm print Indexing Clustering Sample images Match scores Decision level fusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jain, A.K., Pankanti, S.: Automated fingerprint identification and imaging systems. In: Advances in Fingerprint Technology, 2nd edn. Elsevier Science (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Henry Classification System International Biometric Group (2003), http://www.biometricgroup.com/HenryFingerprintClassification.pdf
- 5.Boro, R., Roy, S.D.: Fast and Robust Projective Matching for Finger prints using Geometric Hashing. In: Indian Conference on Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, pp. 681–686 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Jain, A.K., Murty, M.N., Flynn, P.J.: Data Clustering: A Review. ACM Computing Surveys 31(3) (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Maltoni, D., Maio, D., Jain, A.K., Prabhakar, S.: Handbook of Fingerprint Recognition. Springer (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.The PolyU palmprint database, http://www.comp.polyu.edu.hk/biometrics
- 14.Maeda, T., Matsushita, M., Sasakawa, K.: Identification algorithm using a matching score matrix. IEICE Transactions in Information and Systems 84, 819–824 (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Paliwal, A., Jayaraman, U., Gupta, P.: A score based indexing scheme for palmprint databases. In: International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 2377–2380 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Weber, R., Schek, H., Blott, S.: A quantative analysis and performance study for similarity search methods in high-dimensional spaces. In: Proceedings of the 24th Very Large Database Conference, pp. 194–205 (1998)Google Scholar
- 18.Ross, A., Nandakumar, K., Jain, A.K.: Handbook of Multibiometrics. Springer, New York (2006)Google Scholar