A New Parallel Thinning Algorithm with Stroke Correction for Odia Characters
There are several thinning algorithms reported in literature in last few decades. Odia has structurally different script than that of other Indian languages. In this paper, some major thinning algorithms are examined to study their suitability to skeletonize Odia character set. It is shown that these algorithms exhibit some deficiencies and vital features of the character are not retained in the process. A new parallel thinning technique is proposed that preserves important features of the script. Interestingly, the new algorithm exhibits stroke-preservation which is a higher level requirement of thinning algorithms. Present work also discusses a concept of stroke correction where a basic stroke is learnt from the original image and embedded on the skeleton.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bernard, T.M., Manzanera, A.: Improved low complexity fully parallel thinning algorithm. In: ICIAP (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Chin, R.T., Wan, H.K., Stover, D.L., Iversion, R.D.: A one-pass thinning algorithm and its parallel implementation. CVGIP 40, 30–40 (1987)Google Scholar
- 3.Choy, S.S.O., Choy, C.S.T., Siu, W.C.: New single-pass algorithm for parallel thinning. CVIU 62, 69–77 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Couprie, M.: Note on fifteen 2-D parallel thinning algorithm. IGM’01, pp. 1–21 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Kong, T.Y., Rosenfeld, A.: Digital topology: introduction and survey. CVGIP 48, 357–393 (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Kwon, J.S., Gi, J.W., Kang, E.K.: An enhanced thinning algorithm using parallel processing. In: ICIP, vol. 3, pp. 752–755 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Negi, A., Bhagvati, C., Krishna, B.: An OCR system for Telugu. In: ICDAR 2001, pp. 1110–1114 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Pujari, A.K., Naidu, C.D., Jinga, B.C.: An adaptive and intelligent character recognizer for Telugu scripts using multiresolution analysis and associative measures. In: ICVGIP (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Lu, H.E., Wang, P.S.P.: An improved fast parallel algorithm for thinning digital pattern. In: IEEE CVPR 1985, pp. 364–367 (1985)Google Scholar
- 15.Tarabek, P.: A robust parallel thinning algorithm for pattern recognition. In: SACI, pp. 75–79 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Wang, P.S.P., Hui, L.W., Fleming, T.: Further improved fast parallel thinning algorithm for digital patterns. In: Computer Vision, Image Processing and Communications Systems and Appln., pp. 37–40 (1986)Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang, Y.Y., Wang, P.S.P.: A modified parallel thinning algorithm. In: CPR, pp. 1023–1025 (1988)Google Scholar