An Ant Colony Based Load Balancing Strategy in Cloud Computing
Cloud computing thrives a new supplement of consumption and delivery model for internet based services and protocol. It provides large scale computing infrastructure defined on usage and also provides infrastructure services in a very flexible manner which may scales up and down according to user demand. To meet the QoS and satisfy the end users demands for resources in time is one of the main goals for cloud service provider. For this reason selecting a proper node that can complete end users task with QoS is really challenging job. Thus in Cloud distributing dynamic workload across multiple nodes in a distributed environment evenly, is called load balancing. Load balancing can be an optimization problem and should be adapting its strategy to the changing needs. This paper proposes a novel ant colony based algorithm to balance the load by searching under loaded node. Proposed load balancing strategy has been simulated using the CloudAnalyst. Experimental result for a typical sample application outperformed the traditional approaches like First Come First Serve (FCFS), local search algorithm like Stochastic Hill Climbing (SHC),another soft computing approach Genetic Algorithm (GA) and some existing Ant Colony Based strategy.
KeywordsCloud Computing CloudAnalyst Ant Colony Optimization Load Balancing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buyya, R., Broberg, J., Goscinski, A.: Cloud Computing: Principles and Paradigms. John Wiley & Sons (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Li, K., Xu, G., Zhao, G., Dong, Y., Wang, D.: Cloud Task scheduling based on Load Bal-ancing Ant Colony Optimization. In: 2011 Sixth Annual ChinaGrid Conference (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, K., Xu, G., Zhao, G., Dong, Y., Wang, D.: Cloud Task scheduling based on Load Bal-ancing Ant Colony Optimization. In: 2011 Sixth Annual ChinaGrid Conference (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Calheiros, R.N., Ranjan, R., Beloglazov, A., Rose, C., Buyya, R.: Cloudsim: A toolkit for modeling and simulation of cloud computing environments and evaluation of resource provisioning algorithms. In: Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 41(1). Wiley Press (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Wickremasinghe, B., Calheiros, R.N., Buyya, R.: Cloudanalyst: A cloudsim-based visual modeller for analysing cloud computing environments and applications. In: Proceedings of Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA 2010), pp. 446–452 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Dorigo, M., Gambardella, L.M.: Ant colony system: A cooperative learning approach to the traveling salesman problem. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 53–66 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Suryadevera, S., Chourasia, J., Rathore, S., Jhummarwala, A.: Load Balancing in Computational Grids Using Ant Colony Optimization. International Journal of Computer & Communication Technology 3(3), 20–23 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Dasgupta, K., Mondal, B., Dutta, P., Mondal, J.K., Dam, S.: A Genetic Algorithm (GA) based Load Balancing Strategy for Cloud Computing. In: Proceedings of Computational Intelligence: Modeling, Techniques and Applications, pp. 340–347 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Mondal, B., Dasgupta, K., Dutta, P.: Load Balancing in Cloud Computing using Stochastic Hill Climbing-A Soft Computing Approach. In: Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Computer, Communication, Control and Information Technology, pp. 783–789 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Nishant, K., Sharma, P., Krishna, V., Rastogi, N., Rastogi, R.: Load Balancing of Nodes in Cloud Using Ant Colony Optimization. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Modelling and Simulation, pp. 1–9 (2012)Google Scholar