Smart Asia: A New Platform for Collective Intelligence
Asia today is experiencing unprecedented urban growth and development, fast becoming the world’s leading consumer of the planet’s natural resources, and is now at the tipping point of becoming unsustainable. North America and Europe have finally begun to slow this negative trend through the use of sustainable practices and social innovation models supported by advanced technologies. It is critical for Asia to follow suit by developing environmentally safe solutions for growth, following the best practices from countries around the world. To be successful, this will require willing collaboration by public and private organizations, sharing information on demographics, health, food, water, weather, transportation, and other key urban indices. By developing a virtual framework combining an open-source operating system and collaborative interface we term Collective Intelligence, the goal is to build a Smart Asia platform capable of providing a holistic solution to meet both human quality of life needs and the sustainability of the natural environment.
KeywordsCollective Intelligence Leapfrog Operating Systems Urban Interface Smart Asia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Flood, R.L., Carson, E.R.: Dealing with Complexity: An Introduction to the Theory and Application of Systems Science. Springer (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Marcus, F., Forlano, L., Satchell, C., Gibb, M.: Chapter 13 Urban Media: New Complexities, New Possibilities—A Manifesto. In: From Social Butterfly to Engaged Citizen: Urban Informatics, Social Media, Ubiquitous Computing, and Mobile Technology to Support Citizen Engagement, MIT Press, Cambridge (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Kasarda, J.D. (ed.): Global Airport Cities. Insight Media – Sovereign House, Twickenham (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Kasarda, J.D., Lindsay, G. (eds.): Aerotropolis, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Rifkin, J.: The Third Industrial Revolution. Palgrave MacMillan, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Solana, J.: Europe’s Smart Asian Pivot (2013), http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/the-eu-s-startegic-advantages-in-asia-by-javier-solana
- 7.Asian Voices: A New Era for ASEAN?Google Scholar
- 9.Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity (2011), http://www.asean.org/resources/publications/asean-publications/item/master-plan-on-asean-connectivity-2
- 10.Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity Implementation, Project by Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF)., http://www.asean.emb-japan.go.jp/news12_06.html
- 11.Mission of the Republic of Korea to ASEAN / ASEAN Connectivity, http://asean.mofa.go.kr/english/as/asean/policy/policy/index.jsp
- 12.Myanmar’s moment: Unique opportunities, major challenges. McKinsey Global Institute (2013)Google Scholar