How Lean Management Tools are Supported by ERP-Systems: An Overview
An increasing number of ERP providers offer support of Lean Management in their software. As part of a larger research project this article gives an insight into which elements of Lean Management are already covered by ERP-systems. More than 150 different functionalities within the ERP-systems that support Lean Management were identified. Not surprisingly production planning, scheduling and pull principles are supported by most of the functionalities, followed by performance and visual management. A detailed analysis of a selection of five ERP-systems showed that they have more than 50 % of the functionalities in common. But they are less realized in the basic system but in up to 13 different modules with the focus in production.
KeywordsERP-system Lean management Lean ERP Toyota production system SAP
- 1.Adam, M., Keckeis, J., Kostenzer, P., & Klepzig, H. (2013). Lean ERP—How ERP systems and lean management fit together. In F. Piazolo & M. Felderer (Eds.), Innovation and future of enterprise innovation systems. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- 2.Womack, J. P., Jones, D. T., & Ross, D. (1990). The machine that changed the world. New York: Rawson Associates.Google Scholar
- 3.Ohno, T. (1988). Toyota production system: Beyond large scale production. Cambridge: Productivity Press.Google Scholar
- 4.Shingo, S. (1989). A study of the toyota production system from an industrial engineering viewpoint. Cambridge: Productivity Press.Google Scholar
- 5.Rüttimann, B., Waldner, H., & Adam, M. (2012). Lean six sigma in der Schweiz—explorative studie zur lagebestimmung. Zürich: Schriftenreihe Schweizerisches Institut für Systems Engineering.Google Scholar