Uncertainty Quantification in VFM Identification
This article presents a methodology to optimize the design of a mechanical test to characterize all the material stiffness parameters of a PVC foam material in one single test. The two main experimental techniques used in this study are Digital Image Correlation and The Virtual Fields Method. The actual image recording process was mimicked by numerically generating a series of deformed synthetic images. Then the whole measurement procedure was simulated by processing the synthetic images with DIC and VFM routines. This procedure was used to predict the uncertainty of the measurements (systematic and random errors) by including the most significant parameters in actual experiments. By using these parameters as design variables and defining several error functions, the optimization study was performed to minimize the uncertainty of the identification and select the optimal test parameters. The simulated confidence intervals of the identified parameters were defined based on the predicted systematic and random errors. The simulated experimental results also indicated that averaging multiple images could lead to a significant reduction of the random error. The experimental validation was conducted using the optimized test parameters obtained from the numerical study. The results displayed a very good consistency with the simulation.
KeywordsVirtual fields method Composites Arcan test Uncertainty Full-field measurements
- 6.DIAB (2011) Divinycell PVC datasheet. http://www.diabgroup.com
- 8.Pierron F, Grédiac M (2012) The virtual fields method. Springer New York. ISBN 978-1-4614-1823-8Google Scholar
- 9.Sutton MA, Orteu JJ, Schreier HW (2009) Image correlation for shape, motion and deformation measurements: basic concepts, theory and applications. Springer New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 13.Rossi M, Lava P, Pierron F, Debruyne D, Sasso M (2013) Error assessment on combining DIC and VFM to design an optimized experimental setup for material identification. Int J Solids Struct submitted.Google Scholar
- 15.Wang P, Rossi M, Lava P, Pierron F, Thomsen OT (2014) Optimized experimental characterization of polymeric foam material using DIC and the Virtual Fields Method. (in preparation)Google Scholar