NS2IT: Simplification of Computer Network Simulation
Nowadays, Internet applications generate more and more communication traffic that needs to be wisely handled by computer networks. Therefore there is a big demand on communication protocols to have less payload and bigger efficiency. In this paper, we briefly explain our solution of enhanced simulation and visualization of network protocols based on ns-2 simulator, called NS2IT. Our goal is to simplify the simulation’s process, data visualization and measurements’ comparison. Proposed prototype teaches students about characteristics of given protocols and informs developers about protocols’ performance in specific network situations. All these information are presented by rich web interface.
KeywordsComponent Network simulation ns-2 Network simulator
This work was partially sponsored by VEGA under number 1/0722/12 “Security in distributed computer systems and mobile computer networks” and 1/0676/12 “Network architectures for multimedia service delivery with QoS guarantee”. We thank also to all members of our research team, namely Hana Severínová, Roman Panenka, Martin Pirháč, Dávid Oros and Martin Svetlík.
- 1.Ns-2 Roadmap, http://nsnam.isi.edu/nsnam/index.php/Roadmap, November 2012.
- 2.The ns Manual, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/doc/ns_doc.pdf, November 2012.
- 3.Ns-3 overview,. http://www.nsnam.org/docs/ns-3-overview.pdf, October 2012.
- 4.Ns-3 Tutorial, Release ns-3.15, http://www.nsnam.org/docs/release/3.15/tutorial/ns-3-tutorial.pdf, October 2012.
- 5.Ns-3 Manual, Release ns-3.15, http://www.nsnam.org/docs/release/3.15/manual/ns-3-manual.pdf, October 2012.
- 6.Ns-3 Model Library, Release ns-3.15, http://www.nsnam.org/docs/release/3.15/models/ns-3-model-library.pdf, October 2012.
- 7.Altman E., Jiménez T.: NS Simulator for beginners, Lecture notes, http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Eitan.Altman/COURS-NS/n3.pdf, 2003.
- 8.Brugge, J. Paquereau, L. Heegaard, P.E.: Experience Report on Implementing and Simulating a Routing Protocol in NS-2 and NS-3, In: 2010 Second International Conference on Advances in System Simulation (SIMUL), 2010, pp. 88-93Google Scholar
- 9.Henderson T., Lacage, M.: An end-to-end tour of a simulation.2, http://www.nsnam.org/workshops/wns3-2009/ns-3-tutorial-part-2.pdf, March 2009
- 10.Issariakut T, Ekram H.: Introduction to Network Simulator NS2, 2009. ISBN: 978-387-71759-3.Google Scholar
- 11.Weingartner E., Lehn H., Wehrle K.: A performance comparison of recent network simulators. In: ICC'09 Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE international conference on Communications, 2009.Google Scholar