Formal Security Verification of Transport Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks
- 1.2k Downloads
In this paper, we address the problem of formal security verification of transport protocols for wireless sensor networks (WSN) that perform cryptographic operations. Analyzing this class of protocols is a difficult task because they typically consist of complex behavioral characteristics, such as launching timers, performing probabilistic behavior, and cryptographic operations. Some of the recently published WSN transport protocols are DTSN, which does not include cryptographic security mechanism, and two of its secured versions, SDTP and STWSN. In our previous work, we formally analyzed the security of Distributed Transport for Sensor Networks (DTSN) and Distributed Transport Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks (SDTP), and showed that they are vulnerable against packet modification attacks. In another work we proposed a new Secure Transport Protocol for WSNs (STWSN), with the goal of eliminating the vulnerability of DTSN and SDTP, however, its security properties have only been informally argued. In this paper, we apply formal method to analyze the security of STWSN.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network Data Packet Intermediate Node Transport Protocol Message Authentication Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dvir, A., Buttyán, L., Ta, V.-T.: SDTP+: Securing a distributed transport protocol for wsns using merkle trees and hash chains. In: IEEE International Confenrence on Communications (ICC), Budapest, Hungary, pp. 1–6 (June 2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Wang, C., Sohraby, K., Li, B., Daneshmand, M., Hu, Y.: A survey of transport protocols for wireless sensor networks. Network 20(3), 34–40 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Buttyán, L., Csik, L.: Security analysis of reliable transport layer protocols for wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE Workshop on Sensor Networks and Systems for Pervasive Computing, Mannheim, Germany, pp. 1–6 (March 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Marchi, B., Grilo, A., Nunes, M.: DTSN - distributed transport for sensor networks. In: IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, Aveiro, Portugal, pp. 165–172 (July 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Buttyán, L., Grilo, A.M.: A Secure Distributed Transport Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, Kyoto, Japan, pp. 1–6 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Ta, V.-T., Dvir, A.: On formal and automatic security verification of wsn transport protocols. ISRN Sensor Networks (December 2013) (accepted)Google Scholar
- 8.Merkle, R.C.: Protocols for Public Key Cryptosystems. In: Symposium on Security and Privacy, California, USA, pp. 122–134 (April 1980)Google Scholar
- 10.Galuba, W., Papadimitratos, P., Poturalski, M., Aberer, K., Despotovic, Z., Kellerer, W.: Castor: Scalable Secure Routing for Ad-Hoc Networks. In: Infocom, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, pp. 1–9 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Fournet, C., Abadi, M.: Mobile values, new names, and secure communication. In: ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming, pp. 104–115 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Ta, V.-T., Dvir, A.: On formal and automatic security verification of wsn transport protocols. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2013/014 (2013)Google Scholar