Measuring the Influence of Bloggers in Their Community Based on the H-index Family
Nowadays, people in social networks can have impact on the actual society, e.g. a post on a person’s space can lead to real actions of other people in many areas of life. This is called social influence and the task of evaluating the influence is called social influence analysis which can be exploited in many fields, such as typical marketing (object oriented advertising), recommender systems, social network analysis, event detection, expert finding, link prediction, ranking, etc. The h-index, proposed by Hirsch in 2005, is now a widely used index for measuring both the productivity and impact of the published work of a scientist or scholar. This paper proposes to use h-index to measure the blogger influence in a social community. We also propose to enhance information for h-index (as well as its variants) calculation, and our experimental results are very promising.
Keywordssocial network influence of blogger h-index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kritikopoulos, A., Sideri, M., Varlamis, I.: BLOGRANK: Ranking We-blogs based on Connectivity and Similarity Features. CoRR abs/0903.4035 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Egghe, L.: The Hirsch index and related impact measures. In: ARIST, pp. 65–114 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Egghe, L.: Theory and practise of the g-index. Scientometrics, 131–152 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Goyal, A.: Social Influence and its Applications: An algorithmic and data mining study. PhD Thesis, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Jin, B.: H-index: an evaluation indicator proposed by scientist. Science Focus, 8–9 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Keller, E., Berry, J.: One American in ten tells the other nine how to vote, where to eat and, what to buy. They are The Inuentials. The Free Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, Y., Jung, H.-Y., Song, W., Lee, J.-H.: Mining the blogosphere for top news stories identification. In: SIGIR 2010, pp. 395–402 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Lin, Y.-R., Sundaram, H., Chi, Y., Tatemura, J., Tseng, B.L.: Splog detection using self-similarity analysis on blog temporal dynamics. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Adversarial Information Retrieval on the Web, AIRWeb (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Momma, M., Chi, Y., Lin, Y., Zhu, S., Yang, T.: Influence Analysis in the Blogosphere. CoRR abs/1212.5863 (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Vinkler, P.: The pi-index: a new indicator for assessing scientific impact. Information Science (JIS), 602–612 (2009)Google Scholar