Formal Verification of Operational Transformation
Operational Transformation (OT) is a technology to provide consistency maintenance and concurrency control in real-time collaborative editing systems. The correctness of OT is critical due to its foundation role in supporting a wide range of real world applications. In this work, we formally model the OT-based collaborative editing systems and establish their correctness, w.r.t. convergence and intention preservation, using a set of well-defined transformation conditions and properties. We then use model checking to verify the transformation properties for basic data and operational models. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first work to conduct a complete verification of OT including control algorithms and transformation functions. Our evaluation confirmed the correctness of existing OT systems and transformation functions with important discoveries.
KeywordsModel Check Transformation Function Document State Operation Model Operational Transformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Ellis, C.A., Gibbs, S.J.: Concurrency control in groupware systems. In: SIGMOD, pp. 399–407 (1989)Google Scholar
- 5.Imine, A., Molli, P., Oster, G., Rusinowitch, M.: Proving Correctness of Transformation Functions in Real-time Groupware. In: ECSCW, pp. 277–293 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Nichols, D.A., Curtis, P., Dixon, M., Lamping, J.: High-latency, low-bandwidth windowing in the Jupiter collaboration system. In: UIST, pp. 111–120 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Ressel, M., Nitsche-Ruhland, D., Gunzenhäuser, R.: An integrating, transformation-oriented approach to concurrency control and undo in group editors. In: CSCW, pp. 288–297 (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Sun, C., Ellis, C.A.: Operational transformation in real-time group editors: issues, algorithms, and achievements. In: CSCW, pp. 59–68 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Sun, C., Xu, Y., Agustina: Exhaustive search of puzzles in operational transformation. In: CSCW, pp. 519–529 (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Sun, D., Sun, C.: Context-based operational transformation in distributed collaborative editing systems. TPDS 20(10), 1454–1470 (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Xu, Y., Sun, C., Li, M.: Achieving convergence in operational transformation: conditions, mechanisms and systems. In: CSCW, pp. 505–518 (2014)Google Scholar