Robot Control and Online Programming by Human Gestures Using a Kinect Motion Sensor
Monitoring and controlling of robots are key competences for robot producers and many research and development projects are carried out to increase robot performance and add new functionality. The paper presents a concept and implementation of online programming, controlling and monitoring an industrial robot using a Kinect sensor as a HMI part. Presented innovative solution is based on human gestures. A communication interface for gestures analysis performed by the robot operator was created using LabVIEW applications. Communication between the kinetic motion sensor and the robot was carried out through PLC Siemens S7-300 inside a flexible manufacturing system. The connection between the logic controller and the robot controller R30iA was realized in the ProfibusDP network. The connection between the controller and LabVIEW application has been established using the MPI protocol. A hardware communication protocol used by PLC was converted into the OPC protocol. NUI was used to communicate the Kinect with LabVIEW.
Keywordsindustrial robot control online programming HMI (Human-Machine Interface) PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) MPI Profibus OPC Kinect NUI (Natural User Interface) LabVIEW
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Kolb, A., Barth, E., Koch, R., Larsen, R.: Time-of-flight sensors in computer graphics. In: Proc. Eurographics (State-of-the-Art Report), pp. 119–134 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Mentiplay, B., Clark, R., Mullins, A., Bryant, A., Bartold, S., Paterson, K.: Evaluation of foot posture using the Microsoft Kinect. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 16S, e2–e38 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.National Instruments, http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/pl/nid/210938
- 11.Oggier, T., Lustenberger, F., Blanc, N.: Miniature 3D TOF camera for real-time imaging. In: Perception and Interactive Technologies, pp. 212–216 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Pioskowik, D.: The integration of communication protocols with the control system of an industrial robot FANUC ARC Mate 100iC. Master thesis promoted by Zolkiewski S. report. Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Zalevsky, Z., Shpunt, A., Maizels, A., Garcia, J.: Method and System for Object Reconstruction (2007)Google Scholar
- 23.Zolkiewski, S.: Dynamic flexibility of the supported-clamped beam in transportation. Journal of Vibroengineering 13(4), 810–816 (2011)Google Scholar