Evaluation of an Integrated Mobile Payment, Ticketing and Couponing Solution Based on NFC
The emergence of Near Field Communication technology added more functionality to mobile phones. People can now access to new mobile services such as payment, ticketing, couponing, and control access to cars, homes and hotels. Although these services seem to complement each other, most studies have focused on the development and evaluation of each mobile service individually. In this paper, we propose an integrated mobile service solution – payment, ticketing and couponing – based on NFC. This solution was evaluated in a two-phase user study, which was run in real environment. Participants have largely appreciated the integration of tickets and discount coupons on the payment process. However, despite the integration of services being one of the strongest points of the solution, it also revealed to be one of the main challenges that any payment systems may have to address. Findings suggest that adding additional services to a solution may become very complex from a cognitive perspective.
KeywordsNFC user study user experience field trial mobile payments mobile ticketing mobile couponing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Massoth, M., Bingel, T.: Performance of Different Mobile Payment Service Concepts Compared with a NFC-Based Solution. In: 2009 Fourth Int. Conf. Internet Web Appl. Serv., pp. 205–210 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Rehman, S., Coughlan, J.: An Efficient Mobile Payment System Based On NFC Technology. World Acad. Sci. Eng. Technol. 78, 1695–1698 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Ferro, B., Tscheligi, M.: Experiencing Real-World Interaction – Results from a NFC User Experience Field Trial. In: 9th Intl. Conf. on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobileHCI 2007), pp. 234–237 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Iglesias, R., Parra, J., Cruces, C., de Segura, N.G.: Experiencing NFC-based touch for home healthcare. In: Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. PErvsive Technol. Relat. to Assist. Environ., PETRA 2009, pp. 1–4 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Ghiron, S.L., Sposato, S., Medaglia, C.M., Moroni, A.: NFC Ticketing: A Prototype and Usability Test of an NFC-Based Virtual Ticketing Application. In: 2009 First Int. Work. Near F. Commun., pp. 45–50 (February 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Chen, W., Hancke, G.P., Mayes, K.E., Lien, Y., Chiu, J.-H.: NFC Mobile Transactions and Authentication Based on GSM Network. In: 2010 Second Int. Work. Near F. Commun., pp. 83–89 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Balan, R.K., Ramasubbu, N., Prakobphol, K., Christin, N., Hong, J.: mFerio: The Design and Evaluation of a Peer-to-Peer Mobile Payment System, pp. 291–304 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Juntunen, A., Luukkainen, S., Tuunainen, V.K.: Deploying NFC Technology for Mobile Ticketing Services – Identification of Critical Business Model Issues. In: 2010 Ninth Int. Conf. Mob. Bus. 2010 Ninth Glob. Mobil. Roundtable, pp. 82–90 (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Pasquet, M., Reynaud, J., Rosenberger, C.: Secure payment with NFC mobile phone in the SmartTouch project. In: International Symposium on Collaborative Technologies and Systems, pp. 121–126 (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Hu, J.-Y., Sueng, C.-C., Liao, W.-H., Ho, C.C.: Android-based mobile payment service protected by 3-factor authentication and virtual private ad hoc networking. In: 2012 Comput. Commun. Appl. Conf., vol. 1, pp. 111–116 (January 2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Kadambi, K.S., Li, J., Karp, A.H.: Near-field communication-based secure mobile payment service. In: Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Electron. Commer., ICEC 2009, p. 142 (2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Consortium, M.: MobiPag - Relatório Técnico Final (2013)Google Scholar