Reengineering of Software Requirement Specification
Software requirements engineering is an important subset of software engineering. There has been many researches study the software requirements engineering field and specially the Software Requirement Specification (SRS). In this paper, a reengineering of the software requirement specifications document, according to an updated version of the IEEE 830 standard, as a semi-structured data using XML technology, was made. It aims to enrich the semantic of the SRS. In addition, it serves the customer and the supplier to have a better understanding and experiencing with SRS. A prototype has been developed to show how the new SRS model works. Also, a case study was taken to illustrate the proposed XML schema. Finally, the performance of the proposed approach was assessed according ten main criteria required in any good SRS.
KeywordsReengineering Software requirement specification XML schema
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sommerville, I.: An Introduction to software Engineering: ©Ian Sommerville (2004), http://www.scribd.com/doc/21379604/Software-Engineering-Sommerville
- 2.Surhone, L.M., Tennoe, M.T., Hens, S.F.: Software Requirements Specification. VDM Verlag Dr. Mueller AG & Co. Kg. (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Jordan, W.: How to Write a Software Requirements Specifications (SRS) Document, http://www.ehow.com/how_4804549_software-requirements-specifications-srs-document.html
- 4.Besprozvannykh, A.V.: Extensible Markup Language (XML): Essentials for ClimatologistsGoogle Scholar
- 5.Guerrieri, E.: Software Document Reuse with XML. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference Software Reuse, pp. 246–254 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Ishitani, Y.: Document Transformation System from Papers to XML Data Based on Pivot XML Document Method. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 250–255 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Nojoumian, M.: Document Engineering of complex software specifications (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Le Vie Jr., D.: Writing Software Requirements Specifications, http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magazine/writing/softwarerequirementspecs.html
- 10.IEEESocieties, IEEE Recommended Practice for Software Requirements SpeciÞcations. © 1998 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Lauesen, S.: Software requirements: styles and techniques. © Pearson Education Limited, Great Britain (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Akinci, U.: 10 Characteristics of High-Quality SRS (Software Requirements Specifications) (2010), http://www.technicalcommunicationcenter.com/2010/07/19/10-characteristics-of-high-quality-srs-software-requirements-specifications/
- 13.Patil, K.B.: Software Requirements specification for Library Management System (July 2009)Google Scholar