Modeling Phase Transition and Metastable Phases
We propose a model that describes phase transition including metastable phases present in the van der Waals Equation of State (EoS). We introduce a dynamical system that is able to depict the mass transfer between two phases, for which equilibrium states are both metastable and stable states, including mixtures. The dynamical system is then used as a relaxation source term in a isothermal two-phase model. We use a Finite Volume scheme (FV) that treats the convective part and the source term in a fractional step way. Numerical results illustrate the ability of the model to capture phase transition and metastable states.
KeywordsMetastable State Helmholtz Free Energy Finite Volume Scheme Transfer Term Convective Part
The second author is supported by the project ANR-12-IS01-0004-01 GEONUM.
- 1.Ambroso, A., Chalons, C., Coquel, F., Galié, T.: Relaxation and numerical approximation of a two-fluid two-pressure diphasic model. M2AN. Math. Model. Numer. Anal. 43(6), 1063–1097 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Drew, D.: Mathematical modeling of two-phase flow. Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech. 15, 261–291 (1983)Google Scholar
- 3.Gallouët, T., Hérard, J.M., Seguin, N.: Numerical modeling of two-phase flows using the two-fluid two-pressure approach. Math. Models Methods Appl. Sci. 14(5), 663–700 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Gibbs, J.W.: The Collected Works of J. Willard Gibbs, Vol. I: Thermodynamics. Yale University Press, New Haven (1948)Google Scholar
- 5.Landau, L., Lifschitz, E.: A Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 5, Statistical Physics, Chap. 8. Pergamon Press, New York (1969)Google Scholar
- 6.Murrone, A., Guillard, H.: A five equation reduced model for compressible two phase flow problems. J. Comput. Phys. 202(2), 664–698 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Saurel, R., Petitpas, F., Abgrall, R.: Modelling phase transition in metastable liquids: application to cavitating and flashing flows. J. Fluid Mech. 607, 313–350 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Zein, A., Hantke, M., Warnecke, G.: Modeling phase transition for compressible two-phase flows applied to metastable liquids. J. Comp. Phys. 229, 1964–2998 (2010)Google Scholar