An Effect of Traffic Speed on Maritime Accidents
VTS has been operated at the ports and coastal areas in order to prevent maritime accidents and improve transport efficiency, as described in IMO Resolution A.857(20), Guideline for VTS. To reduce the ship collision, we need to understand the factors of the traffic characteristics which is related with collisions. Although many considerable studies have been conducted over the past several years to prevent ship collisions, the results are not practical. We investigated the correlation among statistical parameters of vessel speed, traffic flow, and potential collision rate in VTS area. Finally, This research provides persuasive evidence to enforce an safe speed to reduce ship collisions in VTS area.
KeywordsVTS Marine Accidents Safe Ship Speed Collision Rate Maritime Traffic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IMO, Guidelines for Vessel Traffic Services. Res. A 857(20), 3–7 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.IALA, Vessel Traffic Services Manual, 5th edn., pp. 16–18 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.IMO, International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972 (2003) Google Scholar
- 4.Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Statistics of Maritime Accidents for Vessel Traffic Service, Navigational Safety Information-896 (April 2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Park, J.W., Jeong, J.S., Park, G.K.: A Study on Influence of Ship Speed and Flow in Maritime Accidents. In: ACMSSR 2013, pp. 112–115 (August 2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Garber, N.J., Ehrhart, A.A.: The Effect of Speed Flow and Geometric Characteristics on Crash Rates for Different Types of Virginia Highways. Virginia Transportation Research Council, FHWA/VTRC 00-R15, 1–7 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, E., Heo, Y.B., Hong, S.B., Kim, J.O., Jeong, K.N., Park, S.T., An, G., Yun, J.S.: Theory of Vessel Traffic System, pp. 20–21. HAEIN Pubilsher (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Park, B.J.: Modern statistical theory and application using EXCEL, Seoul. SIGMAPRESS Ltd., 311–313 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Local Regulation for Vessel Traffic Service, Regional Maritime Affairs and Port Office, MOF, No. 106 (August 2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Kim, Y.D., et al.: Statistics using SPSS, pp. 294–295. Seoul National University, JAYU Academy, Paju (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Hintze, J.L.: NCSS User’s GuideIII, ch. 305, 371, 376. NCSS, Kaysville (2007)Google Scholar