Technology Analysis from Patent Data Using Latent Dirichlet Allocation
This paper discusses how to apply latent Dirichlet allocation, a topic model, in a trend analysis methodology that exploits patent information. To accomplish this, text mining is used to convert unstructured patent documents into structured data. Next, the term frequency-inverse document frequency (tf-idf) value is used in the feature selection process. After the text preprocessing, the number of topics is decided using the perplexity value. In this study, we employed U.S. patent data on technology that reduces greenhouse gases. We extracted words from 50 relevant topics and showed that these topics are highly meaningful in explaining trends per period.
Keywordslatent Dirchlet allocation topic model text mining tf-idf
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Noh, T.G., Park, S.B., Lee, S.J.: A Semantic Representation Based-on Term Co-occurrence Network and Graph Kernel. International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems 11(4) (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Blei, D.M., Lafferty, J.D.: Dynamic Topic Models. In: 23rd International Conference on Machine Learning, Pittsburgh, PA (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Uhm, D., Jun, S., Lee, S.J.Google Scholar
- 9.Cho, J.H., Lee, D.J., Park, J.I., Chun, M.G.: Hybrid Feature Selection Using Genetic Algorithm and Information Theory. International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems 13(1) (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Steyvers, M., Griffiths, T.: Probabilistic topic modelsGoogle Scholar
- 12.Grun, B., Hornik, K.: topicmodels: An R Package for Fitting Topic Models. Journal of Statistical Software 40(13) (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Simpson, M.M.: Climate Change Technology Initiative (CCTI): Research, Technology, and Related Program. CRS Report for Congress (2001)Google Scholar