Forecasting Stock Market Indices Using RVC-SVR
This paper addresses stock market forecasting indices. Generally, the stock market index exhibits clustering properties and irregular fluctuation. This paper presents the results of using real volatility clustering (RVC) to analyze the clustering in support vector regression (SVR), called “real volatility clustering of support vector regression” (RVC-SVR). Combining RVC and SVR causes the parameters of estimation to become more difficult to solve, thus constituting a highly nonlinear optimization problem accompanied by many local optima. Thus, the genetic algorithm (GA) is used to estimate parameters.
Data from the Taiwan stock weighted index (Taiwan), Hang Seng index (Hong Kong), and NASDAQ (USA) were used as the simulation presented in this paper. Based on the simulation results, the stock indices forecasting accuracy performance is significantly improved when the SVR model considers the RVC.
KeywordsSupport vector regression Forecasting index of stock market Genetic algorithm Real volatility clustering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Wei, L.T., Chen, T.L., Ho, T.H.: A hybrid model based on adaptive-network-based fuzzy inference system to forecast Taiwan stock market. Expert Systems with Applications 38, 13625–13631 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Hsieh, H.I., Lee, T.P., Lee, T.S.: A Hybrid Particle Swarm Optimization and Support Vector Regression Model for Financial Time Series Forecasting. International Journal of Business Administration 2(2), 48–56 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Vapnik, V.N., Golowich, S.E., Smola, A.: Support Vector Method for Function Approximation, Regression Estimation and Signal Processing. Advances in Neural Information Processing System 9, 281–287 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems: An Introductory Analysis with Applications to Biology, Control, and Artificial Intelligence. University of Michigan Press (1975)Google Scholar
- 8.Whitley, D.: A Genetic Algorithm Tutorial: Statistics and Computing (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.Pratibha, B., Manoj, K.: Genetic Algorithm – an Approach to Solve Global Optimization Problems 1(3), 199–206 (2010)Google Scholar