A Novel Conflict Resolution Strategy in Multi-agent Systems: Concept and Model
In this paper, we present the concept and model of a conflict resolution strategy for a multi-agent system that covers all aspects of conflict processing, from collecting agents’ opinions, recognition of possible conflict status, and through a joint final decision. Our approach is to specify a novel structure for classifying conflict states in decision-making in which related factors, such as number of conflicting agents, agent’s confidence level and strength of conflict play essential roles in guiding and selecting the conflict resolution strategies. We provide an example scenario as a proof of concept to show the model’s applicability in multiple conflict situations.
KeywordsSoftware Agent Multi-agent System Conflict Resolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wagner, T., Shapiro, J., Xuan, P., Lesser, V.: Multi-Level Conflict in Multi-Agent Systems. LNAI, vol. 4386. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Tessier, C., Chaudron, L., Muller, H.J.: Conflict agents, Conflict management in Multi Agent System, vol. 1. Springer, Heidelberg (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Basheer, G.S., Ahmad, M.S., Tang, A.Y.C.: A Framework for Conflict Resolution in Multi-agent Systems. In: Bǎdicǎ, C., Nguyen, N.T., Brezovan, M. (eds.) ICCCI 2013. LNCS, vol. 8083, pp. 195–204. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Crawford, D., Bodine, R.: Conflict Resolution Education A Guide to Implementing Programs in Schools. Youth-Serving Organizations, and Community and Juvenile Justice Settings Program Report (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Rummel, R.J.: Understanding Conflict and War. In: The Conflict Helix. Conflict in the Sociocultural Field, vol. 2, ch. 27. Sage Publications, California (1976)Google Scholar
- 6.Sycara, K.P.: Resolving Goal Conflicts via Negotiation. In: AAAI 1988 (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Barber, K.S., Liu, T.H., Han, D.C.: Strategic Decision-Making for Conflict Resolution in Dynamic Organized Multi-Agent Systems. In: GDN 2000 PROGRAM. WAP Cellular Walkietalkie (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Ioannidis, Y.E., Sellis, T.K.: Conflict resolution resolution of rules assigning values to virtual attributes. ACM 18(2) (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Jung, H., Tame, M.: Conflict in Agent Team. Multiagent System, Artificial Intelligent, and Simulated Organizations, vol. 1. LNAI. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Müller, H.J., Dieng, R. (eds.): Computational Conflicts: Conflict Modeling for Distributed Intelligent Systems With Contributions by Numerous Experts. Springer (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, T.H.A., Goel, M.C.E., Barber, K.S.: Classification and Representation of Conflict in Multi-Agent Systems. The Laboratory for Intelligent Processes and Systems, The University of Texas at Austin (1989)Google Scholar