Politics Matters: Dynamics of Inter-organizational Networks among Immigrant Associations
We model the dynamics of the two-mode network among directors and boards of voluntary associations, using a stochastic actor-based model, SIENA , including the structural effects proposed in , and considering the political orientation of associations as a covariate. Using data from , we compare the evolution of interlocks among Turkish associations in two European capitals, and explain the noticeable difference in structure by looking at statistically significant differences among the estimated effects.
KeywordsSocial Capital Political Participation Politics Matter Associational Life Civic Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Fennema, M., Tillie, J.: Civic community, political participation and political trust of ethnic groups. Connections 24(1), 26–41 (2001), http://www.insna.org/PDF/Connections/v24/2001_I-1_26-41.pdf Google Scholar
- 7.Newman, M.E.J., Strogatz, S.H., Watts, D.J.: Random graphs with arbitrary degree distributions and their applications. Physical Review E 64(2), 026118 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Putnam, R.: Making democracy work: civic traditions in modern Italy. Princeton University Press, Princeton (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Ripley, R.M., Snijders, T.A., Preciado, P.: Manual for siena version 4.0 (version January 17, 2012). Tech. rep., Oxford: University of Oxford, Department of Statistics; Nuffield College. (January 2012), http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/siena/
- 14.Vermeulen, F., Berger, M.: Civic networks and political behavior: Turks in amsterdam and berlin. In: Ramakrishnan, S.K., Bloemraad, I. (eds.) Civic Hopes and Political Realities: Immigrants, Community Organizations and Political Engagement, pp. 160–192. Russell Sage Foundation Press, New York (2008)Google Scholar