Benchmarking Parallel Performance on Many-Core Processors
With the emergence of many-core processor architectures onto the HPC scene, concerns arise regarding the performance and productivity of numerous existing parallel-programming tools, models, and languages. As these devices begin augmenting conventional distributed cluster systems in an evolving age of heterogeneous supercomputing, proper evaluation and profiling of many-core processors must occur in order to understand their performance and architectural strengths with existing parallel-programming environments and HPC applications. This paper presents and evaluates the comparative performance between two many-core processors, the Tilera TILE-Gx8036 and the Intel Xeon Phi 5110P, in the context of their applications performance with the SHMEM and OpenMP parallel-programming environments. Several applications written or provided in SHMEM and OpenMP are evaluated in order to analyze the scalability of existing tools and libraries on these many-core platforms. Our results show that SHMEM and OpenMP parallel applications scale well on the TILE-Gx and Xeon Phi, but heavily depend on optimized libraries and instrumentation.
KeywordsPGAS SHMEM OpenMP many-core parallel programming performance analysis high-performance computing parallel architectures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bailey, D., Barszcz, E., Barton, J., Browning, D., Carter, R., Dagum, L., Fatoohi, R., Fineberg, S., Frederickson, P., Lasinski, T., Schreiber, R., Simon, H., Venkatakrishnan, V., Weeratunga, S.: The NAS Parallel Benchmarks. Tech. Rep. RNR-94-007, NASA Advanced Supercomputing Division (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Bonachea, D.: GASNet specification, v1.1. Tech. rep., University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Intel Corporation: Intel Xeon Phi coprocessor 5110P (2013), http://ark.intel.com/products/71992/
- 7.Lam, B.C., George, A.D., Lam, H.: TSHMEM: shared-memory parallel computing on Tilera many-core processors. In: Proc. of 18th International Workshop on High-Level Parallel Programming Models and Supportive Environments, HIPS 2013. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Mellanox Technologies: Mellanox ScalableSHMEM (2013), http://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_software/PB_ScalableSHMEM.pdf
- 9.Silicon Graphics International Corp.: SHMEM API for parallel programming (2013), http://www.shmem.org/
- 10.Tilera Corporation: TILE-Gx8036 processor family (2013), http://www.tilera.com/products/processors/TILE-Gx_Family
- 11.University of Houston: OpenSHMEM source releases (2013), http://openshmem.org/site/Downloads/Source