Color Image Segmentation Using Semi-supervised Self-organization Feature Map
Image segmentation is one of the fundamental steps in digital image processing, and is an essential part of image analysis. This paper presents an image segmentation of color images by semi-supervised clustering method based on modal analysis and mutational agglomeration algorithm in combination with the self-organization feature map (SOM) neural network. The modal analysis and mutational agglomeration is used for initial segmentation of the images. Subsequently, the sampled image pixels of the segmented image are used to train the network through SOM. Results are compared with four different state of the art image segmentation algorithms and are found to be encouraging for a set of natural images.
KeywordsClustering Image segmentation K-means Algorithm Modal analysis Mutational agglomeration Neural network Self-organizing feature map
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image processing. Pearson Education (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Pratt, W.K.: Digital Image Processing. A Wiley-Interscience Publication (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Yerpude, A., Dubey, S.: Colour image segmentation using K - Medoids Clustering. International Journal of Computer Techology and Applications 3(1), 152–154 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.MacQueen, J.B.: Some Methods for classification and Analysis of Multivariate Observations. In: 5th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, pp. 281–297. University of California Press (1967)Google Scholar
- 7.Kohonen, T.: Self-Organizing Maps. Springer Series in Information Sciences, vol. 30 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Moreira, J., Costa, L.D.F.: Neural-based color image segmentation and classification using self-organizing maps. Anais do IX SIBGRAPI, pp. 47–54 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Halder, A., Pathak, N.: An Evolutionary Dynamic Clustering Based Colour Image Segmentation. International Journal of Image Processing 4(6), 549–556 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Halder, A., Pramanik, S., Pal, S., Chatterjee, N., Kar, A.: Modal and Mutational Agglomeration based Automatic Colour Image Segmentation. In: 3rd International Conference on Machine Vision, pp. 481–485 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Awada, M.: An Unsupervised Artificial Neural Network Method for Satellite Image Segmentation. The International Arab Journal of Information Technology 7(2), 199–205 (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Turi, R.H.: Clustering-Based Color Image Segmentation, PhD Thesis, Monash University, Australia (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Haykin, S.: Neural Networks. Pearson Education (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Fausett, L.V.: Fundamentals of Neural Networks. Prentice Hall (1994)Google Scholar