Modified Gossip Protocol in Wireless Sensor Networks Using Chebyshev Distance and Fuzzy Logic
The Flooding is a traditional flat based routing protocol where unlimited broadcasting of the packets in the flooding scheme will cause the huge energy consumption to send the packets from source to sink due to implosion, overlap, resource blindness and consequently creates broadcast storm. However Gossiping routing protocol in WSNs is very much effective due to its simplicity, robustness, distributed and capability to work in noisy and uncertain environments. But due to recirculation of information and repeated data communication of randomized gossip protocol which can lead to a significant energy consumption of the network. This paper proposes an energy efficient routing protocol based on Fuzzy Logic and Chebyshev Distance, which is a modification of gossip protocol. The new protocol determines the optimal routing path from source to destination by selected the best node from candidate nodes in the forwarding paths by favoring highest remaining energy and the lowest distance to the sink. Simulation results shows that the proposed method is efficient to control messages forwarding and improves the performance which minimizes the overall energy consumption and maximize WSNs lifespan.
KeywordsRouting Protocol Gossiping Modified Gossiping Sensor Networks Fuzzy Logic Chebyshev Distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Dimakis, A.G., Sarwate, A.D., Wainwright, M.J.: Geographic gossip: Efficient aggregation for sensor networks. In: Proc. IEEE IPSN, pp. 69–76 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Boyd, S., Ghosh, A., Prabhakar, B., Shah, D.: Gossip algorithms: Design, analysis and applications. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, vol. 3, pp. 1653–1664 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, Y., Cheng, L.: Flossiping: A New Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE ICNSC 2, 1218–1223 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Kheiri, S., Goushchi, G., Rafiee, M., Seyfe, B.: An Improved Gossiping Data Distribution Technique with Emphasis on reliability and Resource Constraints. In: IEEE CMC 2009, vol. 2, pp. 247–252 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Norouzi, A., Hatamizadeh, A., Dabbaghian, M., Ustundag, B.B., Amiri, F.: An Improved ELGossiping Data Distribution Technique with Emphasis on Reliability and Resource Constraints in Wireless Sensor Network. In: IEEE ICECTECH, pp. 179–183 (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Heinzelman, W.R., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy- Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks. In: Proc. 33rd Annu. Hawaii Int. Conf. Syst. Sci., vol. 2, pp. 1–10 (2000)Google Scholar