Improvement of Order Performance of a Supplier
Defence procurement is a multi-criteria decision problem and a large part of a Department of Defence (DoD) annual budget. For example, in the fiscal year 2009, contract obligations for the US DoD included $370 billion for defence-related supplies and services , and in Great Britain the respective amount for 2011–2012, was 20.1 billion pounds (UK NAO-National Audit Office (2013), Improving Government Procurement, London, United Kingdom). This paper develops a procedure for the evaluation/improvement of the ordering process in Military Critical Items to help procurement personnel report quickly and accurately to the Hierarchy of an agency/company. In this attempt, Perfect Order (PO) concept, Principal Component Analysis and Multivariate EWMA control chart were combined onto real data collected from members of the Armed Forces with the required confidentiality.
KeywordsControl Chart Supplier Selection Multivariate Exponentially Weighted Moving Average Anderson Darling Multivariate Control Chart
Opinions and results in this paper do not reflect the official position of the Hellenic Armed Forces. Sincere gratitude is hereby extended to the reviewers for their helpful comments.
- 1.Athansopoulos D (1999), Descriptive Statistics, Stamoulis publications (in Greek), Piraeus, Greece.Google Scholar
- 5.Bidalis M (2009), Logistics, 2009 Kleidarithmos Publications (in Greek), Athens, Greece.Google Scholar
- 6.Bottani E,Rizzi A (2008), An adapted multi-criteria approach to suppliers and product selection-An application oriented to lead-time reduction, Int.J. Production Economics 111:763–781.Google Scholar
- 9.Cheraghi H et al (2004), Critical Success Factors For Supplier Selection: An Update, The European Journal of Operational Research 116:423–435.Google Scholar
- 10.Chopra S, Meindl P (2001), Supply Chain Management 1st Ed., Pearson Education Inc, New Jersey, USA.Google Scholar
- 11.Dagdeviren et al (2009), Weapon Selection using the AHP and TOPSIS methods under Fuzzy environment, Expert Systems with Applications 36:8143–8151.Google Scholar
- 12.Defence Acquisition University (2010), Defense Acquisition Guidebook, USA (http://www.dau.mil).
- 13.European Directive 47 (2012), Commission Directive 47/2012 Annex List of Defence Related Products,Google Scholar
- 14.Chopra S, Meindl P (2004), Supply Chain Management 2nd Ed., Pearson Education Inc, New Jersey, USA.Google Scholar
- 15.Gattorna J (2010), Dynamic Supply Chain-Delivering Value Through People 2nd Ed, Pearson Education Limited, Harlow CM20 2JE, United Kingdom.Google Scholar
- 16.Georgakakos G (2002), Statistical Process Control, Hellenic Open University press (in Greek), Patras, Greece.Google Scholar
- 17.Goodwin P, Wright G (2004), Decision Analysis for Management Judgement, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, The Atrium, West Sussex, England.Google Scholar
- 18.Guler E (2008), Incorporating multi-criteria considerations into supplier selection problem using Analytical Hierarchy Process: A case Study, Journal of Yasar University 3 12:1787–1810.Google Scholar
- 20.Hellenic MoD (2002), Greek Land Forces Doctrine (GLFD), Hellenic Army General Staff Publications (in Greek),Athens, Greece.Google Scholar
- 23.Jahns C, Moser R (2005), Benchmarking your supply organization: The supply Health Check,The 90th Annual International Supply Management Conference.Google Scholar
- 25.Joint Logistics Commanders-JLC/Department of the US Navy (2005), ACSIMH-Aviation Critical Safety item Management Handbook, Patuxent River, USA.Google Scholar
- 26.Hsu C et al (2006), Multivariate Statistical Analysis, Stamoulis publications (in Greek), Athens, Greece.Google Scholar
- 27.Ko J, Newcomer K (2008), Transforming Public and Non-profit Organisation–Stewardship for Leading Change, Management Concepts, Vienna, VA.Google Scholar
- 28.Koutras V et al (2013), Polynomial Logistic distribution and its applications in finance, Journal of Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods (accepted for publication).Google Scholar
- 29.Koutrouvelis J (2000), Probabilities and Statistics II, Hellenic Open University press (in Greek), Patras, Greece.Google Scholar
- 30.Laios L (2010), Supply Management, Humantec Publications (in Greek), Piraeus, Greece.Google Scholar
- 31.Lee E-K et al (2001), Supplier Selection and Management System Considering Relationships in Supply Chain Management, IEEE transactions on Engineering management 48 No 3.Google Scholar
- 34.Logothetis N (2001, Procedures and Techniques for the Continuous Improvement of Quality, Hellenic Open University press (in Greek), Patras, Greece.Google Scholar
- 35.Lysons K, Farrinton B (2006), Purchasing and Supply Chain Management 7th Ed., Pearson Education Limited, Essex, England.Google Scholar
- 36.Mc Ginnis M (1995), Building Better Performance Measures, NAPM Insights 6:50.Google Scholar
- 37.Midi H, Shabbak A (2011), Robust multivariate control charts to detect small shifts in mean, Journal of Mathematical Problems in Engineering dx.doi.org/10.1155/2011/923463.Google Scholar
- 38.Monczka R et al (2010), Purchasing and Supply Chain Management 4th Ed, Cengage Learning EMEA, Andover, United Kingdom.Google Scholar
- 39.Monczka R, Petersen K (2009), Supply Strategy Implementation: Current State and Future Opportunities, CAPS Research, Arizona State University,USA.Google Scholar
- 40.Mosxouris S, Giannakopoulos D (2013), Logistics Management & Strategy, Rosilli publications (in Greek), Athnes,Greece.Google Scholar
- 41.NATO Support Agency (2012), FD 251-01 NAMSA Procurement Regulations Functional Directive 251-01 Amendment 6, NSPA, Capellen, G.D. of Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- 43.Papaioannou T, Ferentinos K, (2000), Mathematical Statistics, Stamoulis Publications (in Greek),Athens, Greece.Google Scholar
- 49.Stueland V (2004), Supplier Evaluations: Best Practices and Creating or Improving Your Own Evaluation, 89th Annual International Supply Management Conference.Google Scholar
- 51.UK MoD Development Concepts and Doctrine Centre-DCDC (2007), Logistics for Joint Operations, Joint Doctrine Publication 4/00, 3rd Edition.Google Scholar
- 52.UK MoD JSP 886 (2010), The management of equipment procured under urgent operational requirement arrangements, Volume 3 Part 10.Google Scholar
- 53.UK NAO-National Audit Office (2013), Improving Government Procurement, London, United Kingdom.Google Scholar
- 54.USA Government Accountability Office-GAO (1998), Best Practices-DoD can help suppliers contribute more to weapon system programs, GAONSIAD-98-87, Washington, USA.Google Scholar
- 55.USA Government Accountability Office-GAO (2005), Framework for Assessing the Acquisition Function at federal Agencies, GAO-05-218G, Washington, USA.Google Scholar
- 56.USA Government Accountability Office-GAO (2010), DoD’s High Risk Areas, GAO-10-929T, Washington, USA.Google Scholar
- 59.Greek Law 3871 (2010),, Available unrestricted in http://www.et.gr, last assessed in Jun 2013.
- 60.Greek Law 3871 (2010),, Available unrestricted in http://www.et.gr, last assessed in Jun 2013.
- 61.Greek Law 3871 (2011),, Available unrestricted in http://www.et.gr, last assessed in Jun 2013.