Hybrid Calibration of Microscopic Simulation Models
This chapter presents a procedure to calibrate the Gipps car-following model based on macroscopic data. The proposed method extends previous approaches in order to account for the effect of driver variability in the speed–flow relationships. The procedure was applied in a real calibration problem for the city of Coimbra, Portugal, as part of a broader calibration framework that also includes a conventional optimization based on a genetic algorithm. The results show that the new methodology is promising in terms of practical applicability.
KeywordsCar-following Gipps Speed Flow Density Calibration Microscopic Macroscopic
This work was supported by FCT (Portugal) under the R&D project PTDC/SEN-TRA/122114/2010 (AROUND—Improving Capacity and Emission Models of Roundabouts).
- 1.Ciuffo, B., Punzo, V., Torrieri, V.: Comparison of simulation-based and model-based calibrations of traffic-flow microsimulation models. Transp. Res. Rec. J. Transp. Res. Board, 2088(-1), 36–44 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Punzo, V., Ciuffo, B.: How parameters of microscopic traffic flow models relate to traffic dynamics in simulation. Transp. Res. Rec. J. Transp. Res. Board, 2124(-1), 249–256 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Casas, J., et al.: Traffic simulation with Aimsun. In: Barceló, J. (ed.) Fundamentals of Traffic Simulation, pp. 173–232. Springer, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Rakha, H., Wang, W.: Procedure for calibrating the gipps car-following model. In: TRB 2009 Annual Meeting. Transportation Research Board, Washington DC (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Punzo, V., Tripodi, A.: Steady-state solutions and multiclass calibration of Gipps microscopic traffic flow model. Transp. Res. Rec. J. Transp. Res. Board, 1999(-1), 104–114 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Gipps, P.G.: A behavioural car-following model for computer simulation. Transp. Res. B, 15(B), 105–111 (1981)Google Scholar
- 8.Farzaneh, M., Rakha, H.: Impact of differences in driver-desired speed on steady-state traffic stream behavior. Transp. Res. Rec. J. Transp. Res. Board, 1965(-1), 142–151 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.The MathWorks, Inc.: Genetic Algorithm and Direct Search Toolbox for Use with MATLAB®: User’s Guide. MathWorks (2005)Google Scholar