The Fatigue Life Analysis of the VCSEL with Sn/Pb and Sn/Ag/Cu Solder
The Coffin-Manson equations of Sn/Ag/Cu and Sn/Pb solder joints are presented in this paper. The experimental results of CSP thermal cycle fatigue test and ball shear test are used to formulate Coffin-Manson equations. The maximum amplitude of equivalent plastic shear strain corresponding to these two experiments are employed. The MARC finite element package is used to calculate the plastic shear strain. Different published fatigue experiment results have been used to show the accuracy and the feasibility of these proposed equations. The 3-D finite element models of the VCSEL assembly are employed to simulate the thermal cycling fatigue. Results indicate that the fatigue life of solder predicted by using the proposed equations have good agreement with those measured from experimental tests.
KeywordsCoffin-Manson VCSEL Equivalent plastic shear strain
- 1.Chen, L.-R. (2004). Electronic components market sentiment and industry trends. Journal of Industrial Materials, 207, 80–84.Google Scholar
- 2.Su, T.-L. (2002). A study of Ball Grid Array Package interface reactions of Sn–3.5Ag/Ag thick film solder. Thesis, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.Google Scholar
- 4.Frear, D., Morgan, H., Burchett, S., & Lau, J. (1994). The mechanics of solder alloy interconnects (pp. 199–313). New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.Google Scholar
- 5.Hsu, C.-M. (2001). Stress and alignment shift analyses in the vertical cavity surface emitting laser module. Thesis, Department of Mechanical and Electro-Mechanical Engineering, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan.Google Scholar
- 6.Ellison, G. N. (1989). Thermal computations for electronic equipment (pp. 31–48). Malabar, FL: R.E. Krieger Publishing Co.Google Scholar