A Critic Looks at QBism
This chapter comments on that by Chris Fuchs on qBism. It presents some mild criticisms of this view, some based on the EPR and Wigner’s friend scenarios, and some based on the quantum theory of measurement. A few alternative suggestions for implementing a subjectivist interpretation of probability in quantum mechanics conclude the chapter.
KeywordsQuantum State Subjective Probability Past Performance Probability Assignment Quantum Probability
- Bacciagaluppi, G. 2008. The statistical interpretation according to Born and Heisenberg. In HQ-1: conference on the history of quantum physics. Vol. 350/II of MPIWG preprint series, ed. C. Joas, C. Lehner and J. Renn, 269–288. Berlin: MPIWG. http://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/en/resources/preprints.html.
- Bacciagaluppi, G. 2010. Collapse theories as Beable theories. Manuscrito 33(1): 19–54, philSci-8876.Google Scholar
- Bacciagaluppi, G. 2012. The role of decoherence in quantum mechanics. In The stanford encyclopedia of philosophy, ed. E.N. Zalta. Winter 2012 edn. http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/win2012/entries/qm-decoherence.
- Bacciagaluppi, G. 2013, in press. The many facets of Everett’s many worlds. Metascience. doi:10.1007/s11016-013-9747-9; Saunders, S., J. Barrett, A. Kent, and D. Wallace, eds. 2010. Many worlds? Everett, quantum theory, and reality. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Barrett, J.A. and P. Byrne, eds. 2012. The Everett interpretation of quantum mechanics: Collected works 1955–1980 with commentary, by Hugh Everett III. Princeton/Oxford: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Bohm, D. and B.J. Hiley. 1993. The undivided universe: An ontological interpretation of quantum theory. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Fuchs, C. 2010. QBism, the perimeter of quantum bayesianism, arXiv:1003.5209.Google Scholar
- Ghirardi G.C. 2011. Collapse theories. In The stanford encyclopedia of philosophy, ed. E.N. Zalta, Winter 2011 edn. http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/win2011/entries/qm-collapse.
- Gleason, A. 1957. Measures on the closed subspaces of a Hilbert space. Journal of Mathematics and Mechanics 6: 885–893.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, S. 2013. Bohmian mechanics. In The stanford encyclopedia of philosophy, ed. E.N. Zalta, Spring 2013 edn. http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/spr2013/entries/qm-bohm.
- Greaves, H. and W. Myrvold. 2010. Everett and evidence. In ed. S. Saunders et al., 264–304.Google Scholar
- Lewis, D. 1971. A subjectivist guide to objective chance. In Philosophical papers, D. Lewis, Vol. II, 159–213, Repr.Google Scholar
- Price, H. 2010. Decisions, decisions, decisions: Can savage salvage everettian probability? In ed. S. Saunders et al., 369–390.Google Scholar
- Saunders, S., J. Barrett, A. Kent, and D. Wallace, eds. 2010. Many worlds? Everett, quantum theory, and reality. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Towler, M.D., N.J. Russell, and A. Valentini. 2011. Timescales for dynamical relaxation to the born rule. arXiv:1103.1589.Google Scholar
- Vaidman, L. 1996. On Schizophrenic experiences of the neutron or why we should believe in the many-worlds interpretation of quantum theory. arXiv:quant-ph/9609006.Google Scholar
- Valentini, A. 1991. Signal-locality, uncertainty, and the subquantum H-theorem, I. and II. Physics Letters A 156: 5–11; 158: 1–8.Google Scholar
- Valentini, A. 2010. Inflationary cosmology as a probe of primordial quantum mechanics. Physical Review D 82: 063513. arXiv:0805.0163.Google Scholar
- Vauxcelles, L. 1908. Exposition braque. Gil Blas 14 November 1908. Quoted and reproduced In ed. N. Worms de Romilly and J. Laude (1982) Braque: le cubisme, fin 1907–1914. Paris: Galerie Maeght, 11, 13.Google Scholar
- Wallace, D. 2010a. Decoherence and ontology. In S. Saunders et al. (2010), 53–72.Google Scholar
- Wallace, D. 2010b. How to prove the Born rule. In S. Saunders et al. (2010), 227–263.Google Scholar