Conceptual Spaces for Emotion Identification and Alignment
The paper explores a method for emotion identification based on the mapping of emotional terms to a set of emotion eliciting situations. The method has been applied for emotion words from the Bulgarian language. Situations and words have been evaluated using the valence, arousal, and dominance ratings given by participants. Nine clusters of emotion terms and situations have been identified which allowed to map emotion terms with situations. The mapping method and the results for Bulgarian can be used for cross-group or cross-cultural studies of emotions involving various languages. The possible usage of the results obtained for emotion conceptual space evaluation and emotional alignment of people communicating in social networks is also discussed.
Keywordsemotions conceptual spaces mapping emotional terms and situations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bradley, M.M., Lang, P.J.: International affective digitized sounds (IADS): Stimuli, instruction manual and affective ratings (Tech. Rep. No. B-2). Gainesville, FL: The Center for Research in Psychophysiology, University of Florida (1999)Google Scholar
- Bradley, M.M., Lang, P.J.: Affective norms for English words (ANEW): Stimuli, instruction manual and affective ratings. Technical report C-1, Gainesville (1999)Google Scholar
- D’Andrade, R., Boster, J., Ellsworth, P.: The Structure of Feelings. Ethos (under review)Google Scholar
- Lang, P.J.: Behavioral treatment and bio-behavioral assessment: Computer applications. In: Sidowski, J.B., Johnson, J.H., Williams, T.A. (eds.) Technology in Mental Health Care Delivery Systems, Ablex, Norwood (1980)Google Scholar
- Lang, P.J., Bradley, M.M., Cuthbert, B.N.: Motivated attention: Affect, activation, and action. In: Lang, P.J., Simons, R.F., Balaban, M.T. (eds.) Attention and Orienting: Sensory and Motivational Processes, pp. 97–135. Erlbaum, Hillsdale (1997)Google Scholar
- Lang, P.J., Bradley, M.M., Cuthbert, B.N.: International affective picture system (IAPS): Affective ratings of pictures and instruction manual. Technical Report A-8. University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (2008)Google Scholar
- Osgood, C.E., Suci, G., Tannenbaum, P.: The measurement of meaning. University of Illinois Press, Urbana, IL (1957)Google Scholar