A Fuzzy Decision Support System for the Environmental Risk Assessment of Genetically Modified Organisms
Aim of the paper is the development of a Fuzzy Decision Support System (FDSS) for the Environmental Risk Assessment (ERA) of the deliberate release of genetically modified plants. The evaluation process permits identifying potential impacts that can achieve one or more receptors through a set of migration paths. ERA process is often performed in presence of incomplete and imprecise data and is generally yielded using the personal experience and knowledge of the human experts. Therefore the risk assessment in the FDSS is obtained by using a Fuzzy Inference System (FIS), performed using jFuzzyLogic library. The decisions derived by FDSS have been validated on real world cases by the human experts that are in charge of ERA. They have confirmed the reliability of the fuzzy support system decisions.
KeywordsFuzzy Decision Support Systems Risk Assessment Genetically Modified Organisms Fuzzy Control Language jFuzzyLogic library
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Cingolani, P., A.-Fdez, J.: jFuzzyLogic: A Robust and Flexible Fuzzy-Logic Inference System Language Implementation. In: Proceedings of IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence 2012, June 10-15 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Cormen, T.H., Leiserson, C.E., Rivest, R.L., Stein, C.: Introduction to Algorithms, 3rd edn. MIT Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.International Electrotechnical Commission technical committee industrial process measurement and control2. IEC 61131 - Programmable Controllers. Part 7: Fuzzy Control Programming. IEC (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Lener, M., Giovannelli, V., Arpaia, S., Baldacchino, F., Benedetti, A., Burgio, G., Canfora, L., Dinelli, G., Manachini, B., Marotti, I., Masetti, A., Sbrana, C., Rastelli, V., Staiano, G.: Applying an operating model for the environmental risk assessment in Italian Sites of Community Importance (SCI) of the European Commission Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC). Bulletin of Insectology 66(2), 257–267 (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, W., Zhou, J., Xie, K., Xiong, X.: Power System Risk Assessment Using a Hybrid Method of Fuzzy Set and Monte Carlo Simulation. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 23(2) (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Lin, C.-T., Lee, C.S.: Neural Fuzzy Systems: A Neuro-Fuzzy Synergism to Intelligent Systems. Prentice Hall (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Parr, T.J., Quong, R.W.: Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 25(7), pp. 789–810. Wiley & Sons (1995)Google Scholar
- 17.Sorlini, C., Buiatti, M., Burgio, G., Cellini, F., Giovannelli, V., Lener, M., Massari, G., Perrino, P., Selva, E., Spagnoletti, A., Staiano, G.: La valutazione del rischio ambientale dell’ immissione deliberata nell’ ambiente di organismi geneticamente modificati. Tech. Report (2003), http://bch.minambiente.it/EN/Biosafety/propmet.asp (in Italian)