Measuring Hotel Service Quality from Online Consumer Reviews: A Proposed Method
This paper proposes a new method to measure hotel service quality from online consumer reviews and ratings. In essence, a word frequency analysis is performed on comments collected from a website such as TripAdvisor, and these frequencies are used to obtain a score for each of the following dimensions: Room, Facilities, Surroundings, Employees and Reliability. A comparison of scores can be made based on the ratings that consumers give, and/or can be studied over time. The method offers researchers and hotel managers a useful new tool, which can guide quality improvement efforts and help focus marketing communication. In this paper the development of the approach is described, and a short example is presented where the method is applied on a single hotel.
KeywordsService quality HOLSERV TripAdvisor Consumer-generated content
- Carman, J. M. (1990). Consumer perceptions of service quality: An assessment of the SERVQUAL dimensions. Journal of Retailing, 66, 33–55. Google Scholar
- Cronin Jr, J. J., & Taylor, S. A. (1992). Measuring service quality: A reexamination and extension. ****The Journal of Marketing, 56, 55–68. Google Scholar
- Herr, P. M., Kardes, F. R., & Kim, J. (1991). Effects of word-of-mouth and product-attribute information on persuasion: An accessibility-diagnosticity perspective. Journal of Consumer Research, 454–462.Google Scholar
- Knutson, B., Stevens, P., Wullaert, C., Patton, M., & Yokoyama, F. (1990). LODGSERV: A service quality index for the lodging industry. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 14(2), 277–284.Google Scholar
- O’Connor, P. (2008). User-generated content and travel: A case study on Tripadvisor.com. In Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2008 (pp. 47–58). Springer, Vienna.Google Scholar
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1985). A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research. The Journal of Marketing, 41–50.Google Scholar
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1988). Servqual. Journal of Retailing, 64(1), 12–37.Google Scholar
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (2004). Refinement and reassessment of the SERVQUAL scale. Journal of Retailing, 67(4), 114.Google Scholar
- Rapid-I (2013). RapidMiner overview. url:http://rapid-i.com/content/view/181/190/. Accessed 15 June 2013.
- Richins, M. L. (1983). Negative word-of-mouth by dissatisfied consumers: a pilot study. The Journal of Marketing, 68–78.Google Scholar