Improvement in Genetic Algorithm with Genetic Operator Combination (GOC) and Immigrant Strategies for Multicast Routing in Ad Hoc Networks
In this paper, an improved Genetic Algorithm (GA) is proposed for solving multicast routing problem by optimizing combined objectives of network lifetime and delay. This algorithm employs Genetic Operator combination (GOC) and immigrant strategies. The GOC contains modified topology crossover, node and energy mutations. Immigrant strategies are the specific replacement operators designed for dynamic optimization problems and it is naturally suited for multicast routing in ad hoc networks. The random immigrant with random replacement, random immigrant with worst replacement, elitism based immigrant and hybrid immigrant strategies are combined with GOC individually, and formed four different algorithms. The performance of these algorithms is evaluated in different size networks through simulation. The results of the proposed algorithms are compared with other existing algorithms using nonparametric statistical tests with average ranking. These test results endorse that the proposed algorithms improve the performance of GA in solving multicast routing problems effectively.
KeywordsAd Hoc Networks Multicast Routing Genetic Operator Combinations (GOCs) Immigrant Strategies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kong, J.: Building underwater ad-hoc networks and sensor networks for large scale real-time aquatic applications. In: Int. Conf. Milit. Comm., Atlantic City, NJ (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Sesay, S., Yang, Z., He, J.: A survey on mobile ad hoc wireless network. InfoTech, 168–175 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, B., Hou, J.: A survey on multicast routing and its QoS extensions: problems, algorithms, and protocols. IEEE Trans. Net. 14, 22–36 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, B., Gupta, S.K.S.: On maximizing lifetime of multicast trees in wireless ad hoc networks. In: Intl. Conf. Para. Proc., Kaohsiung, Taiwan (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Baumann, R., Heimlicher, S., Strasser, M., Weibel, A.: A survey on routing metrics. TIK Report, Computer Engineering and Networks Laboratory, ETH-Zentrum, Switzerland (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Sateesh Kumar, P., Ramachandram, S.: Genetic zone routing protocol. Theo. and Appl. Info. Tech. 4, 789–794 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Eiben, A.E., Smith, J.E.: Introduction to Evolutionary computing Genetic Algorithms. Springer (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Koyama, A., Nishie, T., Arai, J., Barolli, L.: A GA-based QoS multicast routing algorithm for large-scale networks. Int. J. of High. Perf. Comp. & Net. 5, 381–387 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Karthikeyan, P., Baskar, S., Alphones, A.: Improved genetic algorithm using different genetic operator combinations (GOCs) for multicast routing in ad hoc networks. Soft. Comput. (2012), doi:10.1007/s00500-012-0976-4Google Scholar