3D EEG Source Localisation: A Preliminary Investigation Using MML
Electroencephalography (EEG) source localisation (a.k.a. the inverse problem) is a widely researched topic with a large compendium of methods available. It combines the classic EEG signal processing techniques with modern methods to estimate the precise location of the sources of these signals inside the brain. Myriad factors define the differences in each of these techniques. We present here a previously untried application of the Minimum Message Length (MML) principle to the inverse problem with strictly preliminary findings. We first discuss the problem formulation of EEG source localisation and then attempt a preliminary inclusion of MML in the analysis. In this early stage, tests were conducted based on a simple head model using only artificial data.
KeywordsElectroencephalography EEG source localisation inverse problem Minimum Message Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dowe, D.L.: MML, hybrid Bayesian network graphical models, statistical consistency, invariance and uniqueness. In: Bandyopadhyay, P.S., Forster, M.R. (eds.) Handbook of the Philosophy of Science. Philosophy of Statistics, vol. 7, pp. 901–982. Elsevier (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Hallez, H., Vanrumste, B., Grech, R., Muscat, J., Clercq, W.D., Vergult, A., D’Asseler, Y., Camilleri, K.P., Fabri, S.G., Van Huffel, S.: Review on solving the forward problem in EEG source analysis. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation (1), 46 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Nunez, P.L., Srinivasan, R.: Electric Fields of the Brain: The neurophysics of EEG. Oxford Scholarship Online (May 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Pascual-Marqui, R.D.: Standardized low resolution brain electromagnetic tomography (sLORETA): technical details. Technical report, The KEY Institute for Brain-Mind Research, University Hospital of Psychiatry Lenggstr, 31, CH-8029 Zurich, Switzerland (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Visser, G., Dowe, D.L.: Minimum Message Length Clustering of Spatially-Correlated Data with Varying Inter-Class Penalties. In: Proc. 6th IEEE International Conf. on Computer and Information Science (ICIS) 2007, pp. 17–22 (July 2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Wallace, C.S.: Statistical and Inductive Inference by Minimum Message Length. Springer (May 2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Wallace, C.S., Dowe, D.L.: Intrinsic classification by MML the snob program. In: Proc. Seventh Australian Joint Conf. Artificial Intelligence, pp. 37–44. World Scientific (1994)Google Scholar