Towards General Game-Playing Robots: Models, Architecture and Game Controller
General Game Playing aims at AI systems that can understand the rules of new games and learn to play them effectively without human intervention. Our paper takes the first step towards general game-playing robots, which extend this capability to AI systems that play games in the real world. We develop a formal model for general games in physical environments and provide a systems architecture that allows the embedding of existing general game players as the “brain” and suitable robotic systems as the “body” of a general game-playing robot. We also report on an initial robot prototype that can understand the rules of arbitrary games and learns to play them in a fixed physical game environment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barbu, A., Narayanaswamy, S., Siskind, J.: Learning physically-instantiated game play through visual observation. In: Proc. of ICRA, pp. 1879–1886. IEEE Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Broekens, J., Heerink, M., Rosendal, H.: Assistive social robots in elderly care: a review. Gerontechnology 8(2) (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Clune, J.: Heuristic evaluation functions for general game playing. In: Proc. of AAAI, pp. 1134–1139 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Genesereth, M., Love, N., Pell, B.: General game playing: Overview of the AAAI competition. AI Magazine 26(2), 62–72 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Goldfeder, C., Ciocarlie, M.T., Dang, H., Allen, P.K.: The columbia grasp database. In: Proc. of ICRA, pp. 1710–1716. IEEE Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Haufe, S., Schiffel, S., Thielscher, M.: Automated verification of state sequence invariants in general game playing. Artificial Intelligence 187-188, 1–30 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Kaiser, Ł.: Learning games from videos guided by descriptive complexity. In: Proc. of AAAI, pp. 963–969 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Lai, K., Bo, L., Ren, X., Fox, D.: A large-scale hierarchical multi-view rgb-d object dataset. In: Proc. of ICRA, pp. 1817–1824. IEEE Press (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Quigley, M., Conley, K., Gerkey, B., Faust, J., Foote, T., Leibs, J., Wheeler, R., Ng, A.: ROS: an open-source robot operating system. In: ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Schiffel, S., Thielscher, M.: Fluxplayer: A successful general game player. In: Proc. of AAAI, pp. 1191–1196 (2007)Google Scholar