Constraint Optimization for Timetabling Problems Using a Constraint Driven Solution Model
Many science and engineering applications require finding solutions to planning and optimization problems by satisfying a set of constraints. These constraint problems (CPs) are typically NP-complete and can be formalized as constraint satisfaction problems (CSPs) or constraint optimization problems (COPs). Evolutionary algorithms (EAs) are good solvers for optimization problems ubiquitous in various problem domains. A variation of EA - Intelligent constraint handling evolutionary algorithm (ICHEA) has been demonstrated to be a versatile constraints-guided EA for all forms of continuous constrained problems in our earlier works. In this paper we investigate an incremental approach through ICHEA in solving benchmark exam timetabling problems which is a classic discrete COP and compare its performance with other well-known EAs. Incremental and exploratory search in constraint solving has shown improvement in the quality of solutions.
Keywordsconstraint satisfaction problems constraint optimization problems evolutionary algorithms exam timetabling problems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Burke, E., et al.: A Time-Predefined Local Search Approach to Exam Timetabling Problems, vol. 1153, pp. 76–90 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Burke, E., et al.: Hybrid Graph Heuristics within a Hyper-Heuristic Approach to Exam Timetabling Problems (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Burke, E., Bykov, Y.: A Late Acceptance Strategy in Hill-Climbing for Exam Timetabling Problems. Presented at the PATAT 2008 Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Burke, E.K., et al.: Adaptive selection of heuristics for improving exam timetables. Ann. Oper. Res., 1–17 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Carter, M.W., et al.: Examination Timetabling: Algorithmic Strategies and Applications. J. Oper. Res. Soc. 47(3), 373 (1996)Google Scholar
- 13.Craenen, B.G.W.: Solving constraint satisfaction problems with evolutionary algorithms. Phd Dissertation, Vrije Universiteit (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Müller, T.: Constraint-based Timetabling. PhD Dissertation, Charles University (2005)Google Scholar
- 23.Benchmark Exam Timetabling Datasets, http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~rxq/data.htm