Preliminary Results on a New Fuzzy Cognitive Map Structure
We introduce a new structure for fuzzy cognitive maps (FCM) where the traditional fan-in structure involving an inner product followed by a squashing function to describe the causal influences of antecedent nodes to a particular consequent node is replaced with a weighted mean type operator. In this paper, we employ the weighted power mean (WPM). Through appropriate selection of the weights and exponents in the WPM operators, we can both account for the relative importance of different antecedent nodes in the dynamics of a particular node, as well as take a perspective ranging continuously from the most pessimistic (minimum) to the most optimistic (maximum) on the normalized aggregation of antecedents for each node. We consider this FCM structure to be more intuitive than the traditional one, as the nonlinearity involved in the WPM is more scrutable with regard to the aggregation of its inputs. We provide examples of this new FCM structure to illustrate its behavior, including convergence.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.Rickard, J.T., Aisbett, J., Yager, R.R., Gibbon, G.: Fuzzy weighted power means in evaluation decisions. In: Proc. 1st World Symposium on Soft Computing, Paper #100, San Francisco, CA (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Rickard, J.T., Aisbett, J., Yager, R.R., Gibbon, G.: Linguistic weighted power means: comparison with the linguistic weighted average. In: Proc. FUZZ-IEEE 2011, 2011 World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 2185–2192 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Rickard, J.T., Yager, R.R.: Perceptual computing in social networks. In: Proc. 2013 International Fuzzy Systems Association World Congress/North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society Annual Mtg. Paper #9, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Rickard, J.T., Aisbett, J.: New classes of threshold aggregation functions based upon the Tsallis q-exponential. In: Rickard, J.T., Aisbett, J. (eds.) 2013 International Fuzzy Systems Association World Congress/North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society Annual Mtg, paper #8, Edmonton, AB, Canada (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Rickard, J.T., Aisbett, J.: New classes of threshold aggregation functions based upon the Tsallis q-exponential with applications to perceptual computing. IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Syst. (accepted for publication, 2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Meyer, C.: Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra. SIAM, Philadelphia (2001)Google Scholar
- 17.Gantmacher, F.R.: Theory of Matrices, Vol. 2. AMS Chelsea Publishing, Providence, RI (1989), http://bookos.org/g/F.%20R.%20Gantmacher
- 18.Encyclopedia of Mathematics entry under “Stochastic matrix”, http://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Stochastic_matrix