Towards an Integrated Methodology to Design Sustainable Living Practices
Sustainable Living Labs (SLL) provide an experimental and interactive infrastructure to enable open innovation processes in the context of real (realistic) home settings. In SLL, home occupants play a role in communicating and discussing their values and lifestyles; they can experience innovations and reflect on the impact of their practices in daily life by means of situated experiments. The Concept House (CH), a SLL built in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, offers such facilities. In this paper, we discuss the development of the Experience Intervention Method (EIM) to obtain a holistic understanding of living practices. We demonstrate the method with a case study on home energy management developed in CH to clarify the role of qualitative and quantitative in-situ methods to get insights, co-design and validate sustainable innovations.
KeywordsSustainable Living Labs (SLL) in-situ methods design methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Binder, T., Brandt, E., Halse, J., Foverskov, M., Olander, S., Yndigegn, S.: Living the (co-design) Lab. Online Proceedings of Nordes 2011 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Carter, S., Mankoff, J., Heer, J.: Momento: support for situated ubicomp experimentation. In: Proceedings of CHI 2007, pp. 125–134. ACM (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Gram-Hanssen, K., Bartiaux, F., Jensen, O.M., Cantaert, M.: Do homeowners use energy labels? A comparison between Denmark and Belgium. Energy Policy 35 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Hektner, J.M., Csikszentmihalyi, M.: The experience sampling method: Measuring the context and content of lives. In: Handbook of Environmental Psychology, pp. 233–243 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Liedtke, C., von Geibler, J., Baedeker, C.: The sustainability living lab as a reflective user-integrating research infrastructure. In: 3rd International Conference on Sustainability Transitions, pp. 206–222 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Rutten, J.: Designing Ampul: exploring future prosumer interactions. Master thesis in Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology (2013)Google Scholar