Asian American and Native Pacific Islander LGBT Elders
- 70k Downloads
The purpose of this chapter is to discuss issues pertaining to LGBT Asian-American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) elderly in the USA. Attention is also given to the citizenship status of foreign-born Asian-Americans. Information is presented on cultural characteristics and values of Asian culture, acknowledging that there is great heterogenerity among AAPIs. Discussion focuses on attitudes and perceptions of Asian Americans’ perspectives about LGBT persons, characteristics, and issues pertinent to Asian American LGBT elders, health status and service delivery for LGBT Asian-American elders, and current health policy and practices. Whenever possible, specific reference is made to certain subgroups of persons of Asian descent.
KeywordsAsian american Native pacific islander LGBT elders
- Administration on Aging. (n.d.). A statistical profile of Asian older Americans aged 65 and older. Retrieved November 15, 2014 from http://www.aoa.gov/AoARoot/Aging_Statistics/Minority_Aging/Facts-on-API-Elderly2008-plain_format.aspx.
- Africa, J., & Carrasco, M. (2011). Asian American and Pacific Islander mental health: Report from a NAMI listening session. Retrieved December 8, 2014 from www.name.org/Template.cfm?Section=Multicultural_Support1&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDispaly.cfm&ContentID=115281.
- Alcedo, M. (2014). LGBT Filipino community. Retrieved October 31, 2014 from http://sageusa.org/about/face/cfm?ID=22.
- Balabis, J., Pobutsky, A., Baker, K. K., Tottori, C., & Salvail, F. (2007). The burden of cardiovascular disease in Hawaii 2007. Hawaii: Hawaii State Department of Health Retrieved November 20, 2014 form www.health.hawaii.gov/brfss/2013/11/TheBurdenofCVD.pdf.
- Bhattar, R. G., & Victoria, N. A. (2007). Rainbow rice: A dialogue between two Asian American gay men in higher education and student affairs. The Vermont Connection, 28, 39–50.Google Scholar
- Blaisdell, R. K. (1996). 1995 update on Kanaka Maoli (Indigenous Hawaiian) health. Asian Pacific Islander Health, 4(1–3), 160–165.Google Scholar
- California Health Information Survey. (2010). 2010 survey. Retrieved November 20, 2014 from www.chris.ucla.edu.
- Dang, A., & Hu, M. (2005). Asian Pacific American lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people: A community portrait. A report from New York’s queer Asian Pacific Legacy Conference, 2004. New York: National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Policy Institute.Google Scholar
- Eng, D. L., & Hom, A. Y. (1998). Q & A: Queer in Asian America. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.Google Scholar
- Grant, J. M., Mottet, L. A., Tanis, J., Harrison, J., Herman, J. L., & Keisling, M. (2011). Injustice at every turn: A report of the National transgender discrimination survey. Washington DC: National Center for Transgender Equality and National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. Retrieved December 5, 2014 from www.endtransdiscrimination.org/PDFs/NTDS_Report.pdf.
- Green, A. R., Ngo-Metzger, Q., Legedza, A. T. R., Massagli, M. P., Phillips, S. R., & Iezzoni, L. I. (2005). Interpreter services, language concordance, and health care quality: Experiences of Asian Americans with limited English proficiency. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20(11), 1050–1056.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hu, A. (2012). Introduction to basic Asian values. Retrieved November 8, 2014 from http://www.asianweek.com/2012/04/28/introduction-to-basic-asian-values/.
- Kastanis, A., & Gates, G. J. (2013). LGBT Asian and Pacific Islander individuals and same-sex couples. Los Angeles: The Williams Institute, UCLA School of Law. Retrieved November 21, 2014 from www.williamsintitute.law/ucla.edu/research/census-lgbt-demographics-studies/lgbt-api-report-sept-2013/.
- Kim, B. S. K. (2011). Counseling Asian Americans. Belmont: Cengage.Google Scholar
- Mangton, P., Carvalho, M., & Pandya, S. (2002). Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender health. A Brown Paper: The health of South Asians in the United States. South Asian Public Health Association. Retrieved November 21, 2014 from www.sapha.org/adminkit/uploads/files/BrownPaper-LGBTHealth.pdf.
- Mau, M. K. (2010). Health and health care of Native Hawaiian & older Pacific Islander older adults. Retrieved November 19, 2014 from http://geriatrics.stanford.edu/ethnomed/hawaiian_pacific_islander.
- Minino, A. M., Heron, M. P., Murphy, S. L., & Kochankek, K. D. (2007). Deaths: Final data for 2004. National Vital Statistics Reports, 55(19), 1–120.Google Scholar
- National Asian Pacific American Families Against Substance Abuse. (n.d.). Fact sheet. Retrieved November 20, 2014 from www.napafasa.org/resources/factsheets.htm.
- Office of Minority Health. (n.d.). Mental health and Asians. Retrieved November 20, 2014 from http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/tempplates/content/aspx?1v1=3&1v1IID=9&ID=6476.
- Pew Research Center. (2013). The rise of Asian Americans. Washington DC: Author. Retrieved December 4, 2014 from www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2013/04/Asian-Americans-new-full-report-04-2013.pdf.
- Ponce, N. A. (2011). What a difference a data set and advocacy make for AAPI health. Asian American & Pacific Islander Policy, Practice, and Community, 9(1–2), 159–162.Google Scholar
- Queer Southeast Asian Census. (2012). A census of our own: The state of queer Southeast Asian America. Retrieved December 10, 2014 from www.prysm.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/QSEAReportExecutiveSummary.pdf.
- Reyes-Salvail, F., Liang, S., & Nguyen, D. H. (2008). Frequent mental distress prevalence and disparity: Hawaii BRFSS 2005–2007. The Hawaii Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Special Report, 6(2). Retrieved November 20, 2014 from www.health.Hawaii.gov/brfss/files/2013/11/Frequent_Mental_Distress.pdf.
- Salvail, F. R., Nguyen, D., & Huang, T. (2003). State of Hawaii, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, From 2001 to 2003—By ethnicity, tobacco use, alcohol use. Retrieved November 20, 2014 from http://www.hawaii.gov/health/statistics/brfss/index.html.
- Schiller, J. S., Lucus, J. W., Peregoy, J. A. (2012). Summary health statistics for U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey 2011. Washington DC: National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Statistics, 10(256).Google Scholar
- Sue, D. W., & Sue, D. (2013). Counseling the culturally diverse: Theory and practice (6th ed.). Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Trinh-Shevrin, C., Islam, N. S., & Rey, M. J. (2009). Asian American communities and health: Context, research, policy, and action. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Tseng, T. (2011). Understanding Anti-LGBT bias: An analysis of Chinese-speaking Americans’ attitudes toward LGBT people in Southern California. LGBTQ Policy Journal. Harvard Kennedy School. Retrieved November 21, 2014 from http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k78405&pageeid=icb.page414494.
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2010). The 2011 statistical abstract. Retrieved November 14, 2014 from http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/education/educational_attainment.html.
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2011a). Current population survey, annual social and economic supplement, 2010. Retrieved November 14, 2014 from http://www.census.gov/population/www.sodemo/race/ppl-aa10.html.
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2011b). Hispanic heritage month. Retrieved November 14, 2014 from http://www.census.gov/newsroom/release/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/cb11-ff18.html.
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2012, March). The Asian population: 2010. Washington DC: Author.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2014). American community survey. Retrieved December 11, 2014 from www.census.gov/acs/www/.
- U.S. Office of Minority Health Resource Center. (2010). Highlights in minority health and health disparities, Asian American and Pacific Islander profile. Retrieved November 20, 2014 from www.cec.gov/omhd/highlights/2010/HMay10.html.
- Williamson, O., Gordon, F., & Pacheco, B. (2014). Aging into poverty: Economic insecurity among older adults of color & GBT elders. Retrieved December 4, 2014 from www.nclc.org/images/pdf/conferences_and_webinar_trainings/presentations/2013-2014/aging_into_poverty_webinar_smaller.pdf.
- Yee, B. W. K., Debaryshe, B. D., Yuen, S., Kim, S. Y., & Mccubbin, H. I. (2008). Asian American and Pacific Islander families: Resiliency and life-span socialization in a cultural context. Retrieved November 18, 2014 from www.uhfamily.hawaii.edu/publications/journals/aapifamiliesbookchapter.pdf.
- Yu, E. S., Kim, K., Liu, W. T., & Wong, S. C. (1993). Functional abilities of Chinese and Korean elder in congregate housing. In D. Barressi & D. Stull (Eds.), Ethnic elderly and long term care (pp. 87–100). New York: Springer.Google Scholar