Deconstructing Multiple Oppressions Among LGBT Older Adults
- 70k Downloads
The purpose of this chapter is to interrogate oppression through an analysis of discourses related to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) older adults. As part of our reflexive posture, we attend to the social constructions of meaning about age, ability, gender, race, and sex and their colossal impacts on LGBT older adults. We are mindful of the weight of oppression for LGBT older adults in general but in particular overlooked subgroups of this diverse population (e.g., people who are with low income, people of color, and people who are transgender and do not fit into the binary of woman or man, gay or straight). We confront multiple layers of discrimination by deconstructing cultural assumptions of normalcy (e.g., heteronormativity within the LGBT community) presented in visual form, verbal text, and within discourses.
KeywordsLGBT elders Ageism Racism Homophobia Transphobia Multiple oppressions
- Akita, K., Besel, R. D., Comeforo, K., Drushel, B., Guthrie, J., Hidahl, B., & Zingsheim, J. (2013). Queer media images: LGBT perspectives. T. Carilli, & J. Campbell (Eds.). Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Auldridge, A., Espinoza, R. (2013). Health equity and LGBT elders of color: Recommendations for policy and practice. Retrieved from SAGE website: http://issuu.com/LGBTagingcenter/docs/sage_LGBT_healthequities/1?e=2766558/2092028.
- American Psychological Association. (2006). Answers to your questions about transgender individuals and gender identity. Retrieved May, 17, 2014 from: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_race-ethnicity.
- Atkinson, D. R., & Hackett, G. (1998). Counseling diverse populations. McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Brown, M. T. (2009). LGBT aging and rhetorical silence. Sexuality Research and Social Policy Journal of NSRC, 6(2), 65–78.Google Scholar
- Cass, V. C. (1979). Homosexual identity formation: a theoretical model. Journal of Homosexuality, 9, 219–235.Google Scholar
- Davis, T., (2013). An exploratory study of primary care providers’ HIV prevention practices among older adults (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I., Hoy-Ellis, C. P., Goldsen, J., Emlet, C. A., & Hooyman, N. R. (2014).Creating a vision for the future: Key competencies and strategies for culturally competent practice with lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) older adults in the health and human services. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, (ahead-of-print), 1–28.Google Scholar
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. L., Kim, H., Emlet, A. C., Muraco, A., Erosheva, A. E., & Hoy-Ellis. (2011). The aging and health report: Disparities and resilience among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender older adults. Retrieved from Caring and Aging with Pride website: http://caringandaging.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Full-report10-25-12.pdf.
- Freedom to Marry. (2013). Why marriage matters to native Americans. Retrieved from http://www.freedomtomarry.org/communities/entry/c/native-americans.
- Friedman, S., Reynolds, A., Scovill, S., Brassier, F. R., Campbell, R., & Ballou, M. (2013). An estimate of housing discrimination against same-sex couples. Available at SSRN.Google Scholar
- Frost, D. M., Lehavot, K., & Meyer, I. H. (2011). Minority stress and physical health among sexual minorities. Poster Presented at the american Psychological Association, Washington, DC. Retrieved from https://escholarship.org/uc/item/6h25x5sh.
- Gates, G. J. (2011). How many people are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender? Retrieved April 6, 2014 from http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wpcontent/uploads/Gates-How-Many-People-LGBT-Apr-2011.pdf.
- Graham, R. (2011). The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: Building a foundation for better understanding. Washington, D.C: Institute of Medicine, The National Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Grant, J. M., Koskovich, G., Frazer, S., & Bjerk, S. (2010a). Outing age 2010: Public policy issues affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender older adults. National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.Google Scholar
- Grant, J. M., Mottet, L. A., Tanis, J., Herman, J. L., Harrison, J., & Keisling, M. (2010b). National transgender discrimination survey report on health and health care. National Center for Transgender Equality and National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. Washington, DC, 1–23.Google Scholar
- Halberstam, J. (2005). In a queer time and place: Transgender bodies, subcultural lives. NYU Press.Google Scholar
- House, W. (2010). Presidential memorandum: Hospital visitation. Retrieved from https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/presidential-memorandum-hospital-visitation.
- Kimmel, D. C., Rose, T., & David, S. (Eds.). (2013). Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender aging: Research and clinical perspectives. Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Macdonald, B., & Rich, C. (1983). Look me in the eye: Old women, aging, and ageism. Tallahassee: Spinsters Ink.Google Scholar
- McCarthy, J., & Holliday, E. L. (2004). Help-seeking and counseling within a traditional male gender role: An examination from multicultural perspective. Journal of Counseling and Development, 82, 25–30.Google Scholar
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging. (2013). Inclusive questions for older adults: A practical guide to collecting data on sexual orientation and gender identity. Retrieved from National Resource Center on LGBT Aging website: http://www.LGBTagingcenter.org/resources/resource.cfm?r=601.
- Robinson-Wood, T. L. (2013). The convergence of race, ethnicity, and gender: Multiple identities in counseling (4th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Education Inc.Google Scholar
- Rust, P. C. (2006). Sexual identity adn bisexual identities: The struggle for self-description in a changing sexual landscape. In T. E. Orr (Ed.), The social construction of difference and inequality: Race, class, gender and sexuality (pp. 169–186). Boston: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- SAGE & MAP. (2010, March). Improving the lives of GBT older adults. New York and Denver, CO: Author.Google Scholar
- The National Hispanic Council on Aging. (2013). In their own words: A needs assessment of Hispanic LGBT older adults. Retrieved from The National Hispanic Council on Aging website: http://www.nhcoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/NHCOA-Hispanic-LGBT-Older-Adult-Needs-Assessment-In-Their-Own-Words.pdf.
- Troiden, R. R. (1989). The formation of homosexual identities. Journal of Homosexuality, 17, 43–73.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Labor. (2013). Fact sheet #28F: Qualifying reasons for leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act. Retrieved from http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28f.htm.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Aging. (2012). A profile of older Americans: 2012. Retrieved May 15, 2014, from http://www.aoa.gov/Aging_Statistics/Profile/2012/docs/2012profile.pdf.
- Weedon, C. (1987). Feminist practice and poststructuralist theory. New York: Blackwell Publishing.Google Scholar