Immigrant LGBT Elders
- 70k Downloads
LGBT immigrant elders suffer multiple jeopardy by virtue of being members of disadvantaged groups (i.e., elders, LGBT, immigrant). Although it is invisible to many, immigration is an important issue for LGBT populations due to its impact on the individuals who may be seeking refuge, same-sex couples, and their families. Immigration status can determine a lifetime of opportunity or disadvantage. The striking down of Section 3 of DOMA is a much-needed step in the right direction, but there is much more that needs to be done. Comprehensive immigration reform is critical to address the needs and concerns of this vulnerable population.
KeywordsImmigrant/immigrant population Undocumented Life course Multiple jeopardy Cumulative advantage/disadvantage
- Baker, K., & Krehely, J. (2011). Changing the game: What health care reform means for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Americans. Washington: Center for American Progress and the National Coalition for LGBT Health. Available at http://www.american-progress.org/wp-content/uploads/issues/2011/03/pdf/acalgbtexec_summ.pdf.
- Burns, C., Garcia, A., & Wolgin, P.E. (2013). Living in dual shadows: LGBT undocumented immigrants. Washington: Center for American Progress. Available at http://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/LGBTUndocumentedReport-6.pdf.
- Burns, C. & Garcia, A. (2013). Infographic: The LGBT Undocumented: By the Numbers. “Centers for American Progress, March 8, 2013, available at http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/news/2013/03/08/55676/infographic-the-lgbt-undocumented-by-the-numbers/.
- Fredriksen-Goldsen, K. I., Hyun-Jun, K., Emlet, C. A., Muraco, A., Erosheva, E. A., Hoy-Ellis, C.P., & Goldsen, J. et al. (2011). Aging and Health Report-Disparities and Resilience among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Older Adults. Institute for Multigenerational Health.Google Scholar
- Gates, G. J. (2013). LGBT Adult Immigrants in the United States. The Williams Institute. Retrieved from http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/LGBTImmigrants-Gates-Mar-2013.pdf.
- Giovagnoli, M. (2013). Overhauling immigration law: A brief history and basic principles of reform. Retrieved from http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/perspectives/overhauling-immigration-law-brief-history-and-basic-principles-reform.
- Gruberg, S. (2013a, November). Dignity denied: LGBT immigrants in U.S. immigration detention. Retrieved February 13, 2015 from http://cdn.americcanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/immigrationEnforement.pdf.
- Gruberg, S. (2013b). Additional immigration benefits are available for same-sex couples after DOMA repeal. Retrieved from http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/lgbt/news/2013/07/17/69826/additional-immigration-benefits-are-available-for-same-sex-couples-after-doma-repeal/.
- Gruberg, S. (2013c). What immigration reform means for the LGBT community. Retrieved From http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/news/2013/06/11/65942/what-immigration-reform-means-for-the-lgbt-community/.
- Hoefer, M., Rytina, N., & Baker, B. (2011). Estimates of the unauthorized immigrant population residing in the United States: January 2011. Retrieved from http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois_ill_pe_2011.pdf.
- Human Rights Watch: Immigration Equality (HRWIE). (2006). Family, unvalued discrimination, denial, and the fate of binational same-sex couples under U.S. Law. Retrieved from http://www.hrw.org/reports/2006/us0506/FamilyUnvalued.pdf.
- Immigration Center for Women and Children. (2014). Violence Against Women Act. Retrieved from http://icwclaw.org/services-available/violence-against-women-act-vawa/.
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center. (2013). Marriage equality in immigration law: Immigration benefits for same-sex married couples. Retrieved from http://www.ilrc.org/files/documents/marriage_equality_in_immigration_law_-_immigration_benefits_for_same-sex_married_couples.pdf.
- Insight Center for Community Economic Development. (2012). Securing our future: Advancing economic security for diverse elders. Diverse Elders Coalition. Retrieved from: http://www.diverseelders.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Diverse_Elders_Report_2012_FINAL.pdf.
- Lewis, R. (2010–2011). Lesbians under surveillance: Same-sex immigration reform, gay rights, and the problem of queer liberalism. Social Justice, 37(1), 90-106.Google Scholar
- National Center for Lesbian Rights, California Rural Legal Association & Legal Services for Children. (2013). Tips for legal advocates working with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender clients. Available at http://www.nclrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Proyecto_Poderoso_Flyer_cd.pdf.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. (2011). Challenges facing LGBT elders. Retrieved from http://www.thetaskforce.org/issues/aging/challenges.
- National Immigrant Justice Center. (2010). The one-year asylum deadline and the BIA. Human Rights First, and Penn State Law.Google Scholar
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2013a). OECD Factbook 2013: Economic and social statistics. OECD Publishing. DOI: 10.1787/factbook-2013-en.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2013b). Migration-stocks of immigrants. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/publications/factbook/38336539.pdf.
- Services & Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders, National Hispanic Council on Aging, & Diverse Elders Coalition. (2014). In their own words: A needs assessment of hispanic LGBT older adults. Retrieved from http://issuu.com/lgbtagingcenter/docs/intheirownwords/1?e=2766558/6779269.
- Services & Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Transgender Elders (SAGE) & Movement Advancement Project (MAP). (2010). Improving the lives of LGBT older adults. Retrieved from http://www.lgbtmap.org/file/improving-the-lives-of-lgbt-older-adults.pdf.
- Stoller, E. P., & Gibson, R. C. (1999a). Part 1: The life course perspective: Aging in individual, sociocultural and historical contexts. Worlds of difference: Inequality in the aging experience (pp. 18–28). SAGE: Thousand Oaks, CA.Google Scholar
- Stoller, E. P., & Gibson, R. C. (1999b). Introduction: Different worlds in aging: Gender, race and Class. Worlds of difference: Inequality in the aging experience (pp. 4–7). SAGE: Thousand Oaks, CA.Google Scholar
- Tabak, S., & Levitan, R. (2013). LGBT imigrants in immigration detention. Forced Migration Review, 42, 48–50. http://www.fmreview.org/en/sogi/tabak-levitan-detention.pdf.
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2012a). State and County QuickFacts. Data derived from Population Estimates, American Community Survey, Census of Population and Housing, State and County Housing Unit Estimates, County Business Patterns, Nonemployer Statistics, Economic Census, Survey of Business Owners, Building Permits. Retrieved from http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html.
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2012b). The foreign-born population in the United States: 2010. American Community Survey Reports. By E. M. Grieco, Y. D. Acosta, G. P. de la Cruz, C. Gambino, T. Gryn, L. J. Larsen, E. N. Trevelyan, and N. P. Walters. Retrieved from http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acs-19.pdf.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. (2014a). Chapter 2: Definition of child for citizenship and naturalization. Retrieved from http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartH-Chapter2.html#S-A.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (2014b). Same-sex marriages. Retrieved from http://www.uscis.gov/family/same-sex-marriages.
- Wasem, R. E. (2012). Noncitizen eligibility for federal public assistance: Policy overview and trends. Washington Congressional Research Service, 2012. Available at https:www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33809.pdf.