Kinetic Analysis of the Coke Calcination Processes in Rotary Kilns
Kinetic analysis of the green petroleum coke calcining processes using the simulation program HYSYS and actual industrial data is presented. The rates of physical and chemical phenomena of interest, such as the rate of moisture removal, rates of volatile matter release and combustion, rates of coke dust and sulphur combustion were all represented by their kinetic models. This paper gives a detailed description of the simulation of these processes using HYSYS "kinetic reactor" module. The results were compared with actual industrial rotary kiln data in order to validate the simulation and there was a reasonable agreement for the two different GPCs considered. The methodology of kinetics-based simulation described in this study may be used to predict coke calcining kilns performance regardless of the green coke composition.
KeywordsRotary Kiln Calcining Processes Kinetics Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ALBA, Private communicationGoogle Scholar
- 3.Dernedde, E., Charette, A., Bourgeois, T., Castonguay, L.: Kinetic Phenomena of the Volatiles in Ring Furnaces. In: Light Met. Pcoc. Tech, Sess. AIME 105th Annual Meeting, p. 589 (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.Elkanzi, E.M.: Simulation of the Coke Calcining Processes in Rotary Kilns. Chemical Product and Process Modeling 2(3), Article 20 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Howard, J.B., Williams, G.C., Fine, D.H.: Kinetics of Carbon Monoxide Oxidation in Post flame Gases. In: 14th International Symposium on Combustion, pp. 975–985 (1973)Google Scholar
- 6.Ibrahim, H.A., Ali, M.M.: Effect of the removal of sulphur and volatile matter on the true density of petroleum coke. Periodica Polytechnica Ser. Chem. 49(1), 19–24 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Srinivasan, R.J., Srirmulu, S., Kulasekaran, S.: Mathematical modeling of fluidized bed combustion- 2: combustion of gases. Fuel 77(9/10), 1033–1043 (1988)Google Scholar