Hydrodynamic Shape Optimization of Fishing Gear Trawl-Doors
Rising fuel prices and inefficient fishing gear are hampering the fishing industry. Any improvements of the equipment that lead to reduced operating costs of the fishing vessels are highly desirable. This chapter describes an efficient optimization algorithm for the design of trawl-door shapes using accurate high-fidelity computational fluid dynamic models. Usage of the algorithm is demonstrated on the re-design of typical trawl-doors at high- and low-angle of attack.
KeywordsTrawl-doors CFD Design Optimization Space Mapping Surrogate-based Optimization Variable-resolution Modeling Simulation-driven Design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Garner, J.: Botnvarpan og bunadur hennar. Fiskifelag Islands (1967)Google Scholar
- 2.Haraldsson, H.O., Brynjolfsson, S., Jonsson, V.K.: Reiknileg hermun idustreymis umhverfis toghlera. Velabrogd (University of Iceland) 17, 31–35 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Jonsson, E., Leifsson, L., Koziel, S.: Trawl-door performance analysis and design optimization with cfd. In: 2nd Int. Conf. on Simulation and Modeling Methodologies, Technologies, and Applications (SIMULTECH), Rome, Italy, July 28-31 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Jonsson, E., Hermannsson, E., Juliusson, M., Koziel, S., Leifsson, L.: Computational fluid dynamic analysis and shape optimization of trawl-doors. In: 51st AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Grapevine, Texas, January 7-10 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Tannehill, J., Anderson, D., Pletcher, R.: Computational fluid mechanics and heat transfer. Taylor & Francis Group (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.ANSYS: ANSYS FLUENT Theory Guide. ANSYS, Southpointe 275 Technology Drive Canonburg PA 15317. Release 14.0 edn. (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Abbott, I., Von Doenhoff, A.: Theory of wing sections: including a summary of airfoil data. Dover Pubns. (1959)Google Scholar
- 8.Ladson, C.: Effects of independent variation of mach and reynolds numbers on the low-speed aerodynamic characteristics of the naca 0012 airfoil section (1988)Google Scholar
- 10.Koziel, S., Leifsson, L.: Knowledge-based airfoil shape optimization using space mapping. In: 30th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, AIAA 2012-3016, January 25-28 (2012)Google Scholar