Worst-Case Performance Analysis in \(\ell _1\)-norm for an Automated Heavy Vehicle Platoon
Based on model set identification and unfalsification, robust performance measured in peak-to-peak gain is analyzed for heterogeneous platoons, inter-vehicle communication delays and actuator uncertainties. The goal is to demonstrate that safe platooning with acceptable performance can be achieved by utilizing the services already available on every commercial heavy truck with automated gearbox. Experimental verification of a three vehicle platoon is also presented.
KeywordsVehicle platoons Peak-to-peak gain Performance unfalsification
The research has been supported by the Hungarian National Office for Research and Technology through the project ‘Innovation of distributed driver assistance systems for a commercial vehicles platform’ (TECH_08_A2 /2-2008-0088). This research work has been supported also by Control Engineering Research Group, Hungarian Academy of Sciences at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics.
- 3.Kvasnica, M., Grieder, P., and Baotić, M. (2004). Multi-Parametric Toolbox (MPT)Google Scholar
- 6.Milanese, M., Belforte, G.: Estimation theory and uncertainly intervals evaluation in presence of unknown but bounded errors: Linear families of models and estimators. IEEE Trans. Autom. Control AC-27(2), 408–414 (1982)Google Scholar
- 7.Nagamune, R., Yamamoto, S.: Model set validation and update for time-varying siso systems. In: Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pp. 2361–2365. Philadelphia (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Nagamune, R., Yamamoto, S., Kimura, H.: Identification of the smallest unfalsified model set with both parametric and unstructured uncertainty. In: Preprints of the 11th IFAC Symposium on System Identification (SYSID97), vol. 1, pp. 75–80. Kitakyushu, Japan (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Nouveliere, L., Mammar, S.: Experimental vehicle longitudinal control using a second order sliding mode technique. Control Eng. Pract. 15, 943–954 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Rödönyi, G., Gáspár, P., Bokor, J., Aradi, S., Hankovszki, Z., Kovács, R., Palkovics, L.: Analysis and experimental verification of faulty network modes in an autonomous vehicle string. In: 20th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, pp. 747–752. Barcelona, Spain (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Rödönyi, G., Gáspár, P., Bokor, J., Palkovics, J.: Design and analysis of an automated heavy vehicle platoon. In: 9th International Conference on Informatics in Control, ICINCO, pp. 31–37 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Rödönyi, G., Gáspár, P., Bokor, J.: Unfalsified uncertainty modeling for computing tight bounds on peak spacing errors in vehicle platoons, Submitted to ACC (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Soumelidis, A., Schipp, F., Bokor, J.: Pole structure estimation from laguerre representations using hyperbolic metrics on the unit disc. In: 50th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference (CDC-ECC), Orlando, FL, USA (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Swaroop, D.: String stability of interconnected systems: an application to platooning in automated highway systems. PhD dissertation (1994)Google Scholar