The Analysis of Water Resource Ecological Carrying Capacity of Hainan International Island
The ecological carrying capacity of water resources is a comprehensive concept of natural science and social science, which includes ecological society and economic society dual attributes. Since Canadian scholar Wackernagel has proposed the model of ecological footprint in 1992, it has been a popular evaluation method of ecological society sustainable development. And in the same time, it also provides a new way to analyze the capacity of regional water resources. In this paper, we used this model to assess the sustainable status of Hainan Province water resources from the year 2003 to 2009. For computing convenience and accuracy, we referred to the average water productivity modulus released annually by Department of Hainan Water Resource instead of the average water production in the calculation process. Experimental data show that we conducted deeply analysis of the current situation of Hainan water resources, which will provide scientific data for the sustainable use of water resources for international tourism island developing.
KeywordsWater resources Ecological carrying capacity Ecological footprint model
The authors would like to thank National Natural Science Foundation of Hainan (No. 612120), Major Scientific Projects of Haikou (No. 2012-050), International Science and Technology Cooperation Program of China (2012DFA1127), and Hainan International Cooperation Key Project (GJXM201105) for the support given to the study.
- 2.Wackenagel, M., William, E.R.: Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth, pp. 2–17. New Society Publishers, Gabriola Island, B. C. (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Wackenagel, M.: An evaluation of the ecological footprint. Ecol. Econom. 31, 315–320 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Xu, Z., Cheng, G., Zhang, Z., Templet, P.H., Yin, Y.: The calculation and analysis of ecological footprints, diversity and development capacity of China. J. Geog. Sci. 1, 19–26 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, L.N., Zhang, W.X., Jiang, C.L., Fan, X.Q.: Ecological footprint method in water resources assessment. Acta Ecologica Sinica. 28(3), 1279–1286 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhou, W.H., Zhang, K.F., Wang, R.S.: Urban water ecological footprint analysis: a case study in Beijing. Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae 26(9), 1524–1531 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Fu, C., Yao, Y., Ma, C.: Water supply and demand balance analysis and countermeasures in Haikou. J. Water Resour. Water Eng. 22(2), 94–99 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Chang L.F.: dynamic analysis of water resources ecological footprint and ecological carrying capacity in Yunnan Province. Yunnan Geog. Environ. Res. 24(5), 106–110 (2012)Google Scholar