Change and a Future for Metadata
Future predictions generally resolve some place between a desired outcome and a predetermined path set by fixed circumstances. This essay explores the future of metadata, recognizing the impossibility of creating a precise road map comingled with the fact that researchers and practitioners do, in fact, have some capacity to impact future plans. We address the unprecedented time in which we live, shaped by the latest networked and technological capacities. Observations presented address the future province of metadata, a role for metadata in addressing grand challenges, and emerging synergistic environments. The conclusion summarizes these observations and confirms the significance of metadata.
KeywordsMetadata research grand challenges community scholarship synergistic environments semantic web linked data Research Data Alliance (RDA) e-science e-research
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Black, I.: NSA Spying Scandal: What We Have Learned (2013), Theguardian.com, http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/10/nsa-spying-scandal-what-we-have-learned
- 2.Europeana, http://www.europeana.eu/
- 3.Digital Public Library of America [about page], http://dp.la/info/
- 4.Internet Usage and World Population Statistics are for, The reporting notes 34.4% of the total world population connects to the internet. Connectivity has likely increased since this reporting (June 30, 2012), http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm
- 5.Garoufallou, E., Papatheodorou, C. (eds.): Metadata for e-Science and e-Research (Special Issue). International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies 9(1) (2014) (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Research Data Alliance (RDA), https://rd-alliance.org/
- 7.Research Data Alliance About, https://rd-alliance.org/about.html
- 8.Greenberg, J.: Metadata and Digital Information. In: Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science, 3rd edn., pp. 3610–3623. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Doctorow, C.: Metacrap: Putting the torch to seven straw-men of the meta-utopia (2001), http://www.well.com/~doctorow/metacrap.htm