Locomotion Control of a Biped Robot through a Feedback CPG Network
This paper proposes a locomotion control system for biped robots by using a network of Central Pattern Generators (CPGs) implemented with Matsuoka’s oscillators. The proposed control system is able to control the system behaviour with a few parameters by using simple rhythmical signals. A network topology is proposed in order to control the generation of trajectories for a biped robot in the joint-space both in the sagittal and coronal planes. The feedback signals are directly fed into the network for controlling the robot’s posture and resetting the phase of the locomotion pattern in order to prevent the robot from falling down whenever a risk situation arises. A Genetic Algorithm is used to find optimal parameters for the system in open-loop. The system behaviour in closed-loop has been studied and analysed through extensive simulations. Finally, a real NAO humanoid robot has been used in order to validate the proposed control scheme.
KeywordsBiped locomotion CPGs Humanoid robots
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Righetti, L., Ijspeert, A.: Programmable central pattern generators: an application to biped locomotion control. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., pp. 1585–1590 (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Park, C.-S., Hong, Y.-D., Kim, J.-H.: Full-body joint trajectory generation using an evolutionary central pattern generator for stable bipedal walking. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Intell. Robot. Syst., pp. 160–165 (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, C., Chen, Q.: Walking control strategy for biped robots based on central pattern generator. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Autom., pp. 57–62 (May 2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Williamson, M.: Robot arm control exploiting natural dynamics. Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1999)Google Scholar
- 15.Nakada, K., Sato, Y.D., Matsuoka, K.: Tuning time scale parameter of piecewise linear oscillators for phase resetting control. In: The 21st Anual Conference of the Japanese Neural Network Society (December 2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Gouaillier, D., Hugel, V., Blazevic, P., Kilner, C., Monceaux, J., Lafourcade, P., Mariner, B., Serre, J., Maisonnier, B.: The NAO humanoid: a combination of performance and affordability. In: IEEE - International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Michel, O.: Cyberbotics ltd. webots tm: Professional mobile robot simulation. Int. J. Adv. Rob. Syst. 1, 39–42 (2004)Google Scholar