Few dermatologic problems carry as much emotional overtones as the complaint of hair loss. Adding to some patient’s worry may be prior frustrating experiences with physicians, who tend to trivialize complaints of hair loss or dismiss them completely. This attitude on the part of physicians is related either to lack of comprehension of the impact of hair loss on quality of life or to lack of confidence in the treatment of alopecia.
Treatment options are available, though limited, both in terms of indications and of efficacy. Success depends not only on comprehension of the underlying pathology but also on unpatronizing sympathy from the part of the physician.
KeywordsErectile Dysfunction Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Hair Loss Alopecia Areata Dermatology Life Quality Index
Listening to the Patient
Tackling Side Effects
- Irwig MS (2012) Depressive symptoms and suicidal thoughts among former users of finasteride with persistent sexual side effects. J Clin Psychiatry 73:1220–1223Google Scholar
- Irwig MS (2013) Decreased alcohol consumption among former male users of finasteride with persistent sexual side effects: a preliminary report. Alcohol Clin Exp Res doi: 10.1111/acer.12177. [Epub ahead of print]
- Morrow J (1999) New profits in old bottles; companies find bonus in drugs that cure several ills. The New York Times, 19 MarchGoogle Scholar
- Overstreet JW, Fuh VL, Gould J, Howards SS, Lieber MM, Hellstrom W, Shapiro S, Carroll P, Corfman RS, Petrou S, Lewis R, Toth P, Shown T, Roy J, Jarow JP, Bonilla J, Jacobsen CA, Wang DZ, Kaufman KD (1999) Chronic treatment with finasteride daily does not affect spermatogenesis or semen production in young men. J Urol 162:1295–1300PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sandomir R (2006) Skin deep; fighting baldness, and now an olympic ban. The New York Times, 19 JanuaryGoogle Scholar
- Thompson IM, Goodman PJ, Tangen CM, Lucia MS, Miller GJ, Ford LG, Lieber MM, Cespedes RD, Atkins JN, Lippman SM, Carlin SM, Ryan A, Szczepanek CM, Crowley JJ, Coltman CA Jr (2003) The influence of finasteride on the development of prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 349:215–224PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
Tackling Side Effects: Nocebo Effect
Tackling Side Effects: Post-finasteride Syndrome
- Irwig MS (2012) Persistent sexual side effects of finasteride: could they be permanent? J Sex Med 9:2927–2932Google Scholar
Cosmetic Camouflage and Hair Prosthesis
- Delamere FM, Sladden MM, Dobbins HM, Leonardi-Bee J (2008) Interventions for alopecia areata. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2):CD004413Google Scholar