Attack on the Clones: Managing Player Perceptions of Visual Variety and Believability in Video Game Crowds
- 2.8k Downloads
Crowds of non-player characters are increasingly common in contemporary video games. It is often the case that individual models are re-used, lowering visual variety in the crowd and potentially affecting realism and believability. This paper explores a number of approaches to increase visual diversity in large game crowds, and discusses a procedural solution for generating diverse non-player character models. This is evaluated using mixed methods, including a “clone spotting” activity and measurement of impact on computational overheads, in order to present a multi-faceted and adjustable solution to increase believability and variety in video game crowds.
KeywordsCrowds video games visual diversity multi-agent systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Booth, M.: The AI Systems of Left 4 Dead (pdf) (2009), http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2009/ai_systems_of_l4d_mike_booth.pdf
- 2.Claypool, M., Claypool, K., Damaa, F.: The effects of frame rate and resolution on users playing First Person Shooter games. In: Electronic Imaging 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Grimes, B.: Shading a Bigger, Better Sequel (pdf) (2010), http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/GDC10_ShaderTechniquesL4D2.pdf (accessed January 2, 2013)
- 4.Kirman, B.: Emergence and Playfulness in Social Games. In: Proceedings 14th Academic Mindtrek Conference, Tampere. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Lewis, M.: Initial Models created by Lewis’s Maya Plugin (2000), http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.23.3410 (January 3, 2013)
- 6.McDonnell, R., Larkin, M., Dobbyn, S., Collins, O.C.: Clone attack! Perception of crowd variety. In: SIGGRAPH 2008, Los Angeles (August 2008), Article No. 26Google Scholar
- 7.Sheldon, W.: Atlas of Men: A Guide for Somatotyping the Adult Image of All Ages. New Edition. Macmillan Pub. Co. (1970)Google Scholar
- 9.Thalmann, D., Musse, S.R.: Somatotype Deformation on a Simple Human (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Thalmann, D., Musse, S.R.: Crowd Simulation, 1st edn. Springer, London (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Vlachos, A.: Rendering Wounds in Left 4 Dead 2 (pdf) (2010), http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/gdc2010_vlachos_l4d2wounds.pdf (accessed January 2, 2013)