Co-operative Junction Control System
An efficient solution is essential for the effective management of the movement of vehicles in a junction. This paper offers an algorithm that leverages the power of wireless vehicle to vehicle communication and vehicle to infrastructure communication to create a system that manages vehicular movement at a junction. An evaluation of this algorithm is carried out using a distributed simulation framework that combined both, network communication and traffic parameter computation. The dynamic simulation platform allowed user level interaction with the display of statistics that depict information exchange between the moving vehicles. A clear mapping of the real world scenario, as observed on Indian roads to the simulation, was brought out and it is shown that a 42% reduction in waiting times were produced as a result of this method.
KeywordsVANET Traffic Management Wireless V2V communication Simulation Framework Indian roads
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zeadally, S., Hunt, R., Chen, Y.-S., Irwin, A., Hassan, A.: Vehicular ad hoc networks (VANETS): status, results, and challenges. In: Proceedings of VANET 2004, Philadelphia, PA USA (October 2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Kamini, R.K.: VANET Parameters and Applications: A Review. Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology 10(7), Ver. 1.0, 112–123 (2010) ISSN 0348-1756Google Scholar
- 3.Chandrasekaran, G.: VANETs: The Networking Platform for Future Vehicular Applications. In: Mobile Networking for Vehicular Environments, Los Angeles, pp. 109–114 (March 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Rawashdeh, Z.Y., Mahmud, S.M.: Communications in Vehicular Networks. International Journal of Research and technology (IJERT) 2(4), 34–45 (2009) ISSN 4589-8231Google Scholar
- 5.Campolo, C.: On vehicle-to-roadside communications in 802.11p/WAVE VANETs. In: Proceedings of Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), pp. 91–102. IEEEPress, Houston (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Oprea, A.: MAC protocols for VANETS. International journal on AdHoc Networks 4(5), 82–97 (2010) ISSN 8794-0965Google Scholar
- 7.Cristea, V., Gradinescu, V., Gorgorin, C., Diaconescu, R., Iftode, L.: Simulation of VANET Applications. Paper presented at 1st IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Vehicular Communications, pp. 56–67. Phoenix (January 2011)Google Scholar