Dynamic Scheduling of Requests Based on Impacting Parameters in Cloud Based Architectures
This paper focuses on the request assignment problem in distributed storage system with the limited resources which is a challenging issue. The pertinent constraints and variants to be considered for devising a solution are identified. Assignment of requests to the storage servers should be continuously monitored with the existing data and should be reconfigured when there is a change in the parameters that are observed. Thus assignment of users’ requests – monitoring – reconfiguring of the data periodically gives the nature of agility for the storage servers. The study compares the performance of a few strategies that includes the constraints and variants fitting for cloud based architectures.
KeywordsStorage Networks Request assignment Monitoring Constraints Variants Cloud
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Black, L., Mandelbaum, J., Grover, I., Marvi, Y.: The Arrival of Cloud Thinking; How and Why Cloud Computing has come of age in large enterprises. White paper, Management Insight Technologies, USA (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Sardari, M., Restrepo, R., Fekri, F., Soljanin, E.: Memory Allocation in Distributed Storage Networks. In: IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory Proceedings (ISIT), pp. 1958–1962 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Troppens, U., Erkens, R.: Storage Networks Explained; Basics and Application of Fibre Channel SAN, NAS, iSCSI and InfiniBand. John Wiley & Sons Inc., USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Ding, J., Han, H.Y., Zhou, A.H.: A Data Placement Strategy for Data-Intensive Cloud. In: Advanced Materials Research, vol. 354-355, pp. 896–900 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Madathil, D.K., Thota, R.B., Paul, P., XieA, T.: Static Data Placement Strategy towards Perfect Load-Balancing for Distributed Storage Clusters. In: IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing IPDPS 2008, pp. 1–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Boloor, K., Chirkova, R., Viniotis, Y., Salo, T.: Dynamic Request Allocation and Scheduling for Context aware Applications subject to a Percentile Response time SLA in a Distributed Cloud. In: 2nd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, pp. 464–472 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Kashyap, S.R.: Algorithms for Data Placement, Reconfiguration and Monitoring in Storage Networks. Ph.D. dissertation report, University of Maryland (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Kosar, T.: Data Placement in Widely Distributed Systems. Ph.D. dissertation report, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Xu, Y., Wu, L., Guo, L., Chen, Z., Yang, L., Shi, Z.: An Intelligent Load Balancing Algorithm Towards Efficient Cloud Computing. In: AI for Data Center Management and Cloud Computing: AAAI Workshop (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.A Storage Architecture Guide. White paper by Auspex Systems (2000), http://www.storagesearch.com/auspexart.html