Enabling Self-organizing Behavior in MANETs: An Experimental Study
Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (MANETs) require special management when compared to wired networks because of their hardware and energy limitations. A key concept that could help provide this management is Self-organization. Here the concentration is on typical MANET scenarios that depend heavily on the reliability of the network. Reliability is a direct cost of the overall network lifetime, i.e., energy of the nodes. In this paper a Self-Organizing AODV protocol (SO_AODV) has been developed by integrating self-organizing concepts found in Efficient Self-Organization Algorithm (EESOA) and Ad hoc On-demand Distance Vector (AODV) algorithm. SO_AODV has been compared with Traditional AODV and basic EESOA using the following metrics: network lifetime, average end to end delay, delivery ratio and convergence time. In order to appreciate the performance of the proposed SO_AODV algorithm, an implementation in the NS2 simulator is done. The observations from the simulation are: SO_AODV has better network lifetime and end to end delay than Traditional AODV and has better values of convergence time when compared to EESOA.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Han, L.: Wireless Ad-hoc Networks (October 8, 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Nikolaidis, I., Barbeau, M., Kranakis, E.: Ad-Hoc, Mobile, and Wireless Networks. In: Third International Conference, ADHOC_NOW (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Cao, L., Dahlberg, T., Wang, Y.: Performance Evaluation of Energy Efficient Ad Hoc Routing Protocols. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Pushpalatha, M., Venkataraman, R., Ramarao, T.: Trust Based Energy Aware Reliable Reactive Protocol in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Taneja, K., Patel, R.B.: An Overview of Mobile Ad hoc Networks: Challenges and Future. In: Proceedings of National Conference on Challenges & Opportunities in Information Technology (COIT 2007). RIMT-IET, Mandi Gobindgarh (March 23, 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Dressler, F.: Self-Organization in Ad Hoc Networks: Overview and Classification (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Biskupski, B., Dowling, J., Sacha, J.: Properties and mechanisms of self-organizing MANET and P2P systems. ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (TAAS) 2(1(1)) (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Olascuaga-Cabrera, J.G., Mendez-Vazquez, A., López-Mellado, E.: A Novel Distributed Energy-Efficient Self-Organized Algorithm for Wireless Ad-hoc Networks. In: Eighth International Conference on Intelligent Environments (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Issariyakul, T., Hossain, E.: Introduction to Network Simulator NS2, 1st edn. Springer Publishing Company, Incorporated (2008)Google Scholar