A Novel Pairwise Key Establishment and Management in Hierarchical Wireless Sensor Networks (HWSN) Using Matrix
Key Management is an important challenging issue in wireless sensor networks to provide the confidentiality for the sensitive data which is sensed by the sensors from various fields. There are so many resource constraints for wireless sensor networks, implementing key management scheme in WSN. In general many key management schemes are proposed for Computer Networks like ECC, Diffie-Hellman, RSA and public key based schemes, but all are not suitable for wireless sensor networks. WSNS are suitable for many applications like Smart homes, Automation, Vehicular traffic management, Habitat Monitoring, Precision agriculture, Disaster detection and Surveillance. All the applications need secure communication and must protect from the eavesdropping, key compromising, sensor node capture attack, and message authentication. In this paper, we propose A Novel Pairwise Key Establishment and Management in Hierarchical Wireless Sensor Networks (HWSN) Using Matrix to prevent all the above attack and to achieve network connectivity, scalability, and resilience for the network. This scheme is used for the heterogeneous sensor networks. In this scheme, Base station prepares the key matrices for Cluster heads and Sensor nodes and generates the key chains for both cluster head and sensor nodes and preloaded before deployment. Our scheme prevents the following attacks: sensor capture attacks, key compromising attacks, malicious node attacks.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Cluster Base station
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eschenauer, L., Gligor, V.D.: A key-management scheme for distributed sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2002), pp. 41–47 (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Chan, H., Perrig, A.: Pike: peer intermediaries for key establishment in sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 24th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM 2005), pp. 524–535 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Chan, H., Perrig, A., Song, D.: Random key pre-distribution schemes for sensor networks. In: IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, Berkeley, California, May 11-14, pp. 197–213 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Guorui, L., Jingsha, H., Yingfang, F.: A group-based dynamic key management scheme in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops/Symposia (AINAW 2007), pp. 127–132 (May 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Cheng, Y., Agrawal, D.P.: Efficient pairwise key establishment and management in static wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2005), pp. 544–550 (November 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Hunag, J.-Y., Liao, I.-E., Tang, H.-W.: A Forward Authentication Key Management Scheme for Heterogeneous Sensor Networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking 2011, Article ID 296704, 10 pages (October 2011)Google Scholar